Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3789 of 4408 FirstFirst ... 2789 3289 3689 3739 3779 3788 3789 3790 3799 3839 3889 4289 ... LastLast
Results 37,881 to 37,890 of 44074

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Ok M'friends....tell me about a Pfaff 230. I found one locally, but didn't pick it up...no attachments at all, in a cabinet (would prefer a case) Everything moves and it appears that the camstack is in one piece.... the guy wants $30, could probably get it for $20...
    Do I want it?
    YES!! The book is online at http://s2.vsmgroup.com/VSM/Pfaff/pfaffmanual.nsf if you want to look in advance. Mine is my best FMQ hands down.
    Melinda

This is really cool!
    I don't quilt yet, but I want to get my recently acquired vintage singer model 101 going.
    and I saw a posting on here about someone that had one.
    I was just wondering if there is anyone in virginia that has one, or knows how to work on them.
    I just took it apart tonight a bit to see what was wrong with it, and plan on taking it to get looked at, but would like to learn how to fix it myself.
    Thanks, and hopefully as soon as I get it fixed, I can use it to make my first quilt!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeaniebeanie View Post
    Attachment 362062

I have two White Rotary machines. My treadle version is in the "hubby spa" getting re-worked. It was handed down to me by a very dear family friend. Mary Gertrude, serial #25247 (named after the great-grandma who used it), has seen a lot of use. Her finish is quite worn and the decals almost gone, but the sentimental value of this machine means more to me than anything.

It's tough to see her all torn apart, but hubby is really giving her a good go-over to get her innards good as new. This is a learning process for both of us. I can't wait to be able to sew with her! In the process he's discovered that he really likes tinkering with machines.

That's awesome, because I have a second rotary machine to work on. That one is a beauty and has been electrified. I can't wait!
    Jeanie welcome aboard. I see you have already gotten the bug! You have two White Rotary machines now, but if you stay on this board you will have plenty more vintage machines before long. There is a vintage sewing machine bug that the rest of us have contracted - there is no cure! It is a lot of fun, though, and most of us don't want to find a cure! We need to see a photo of the second White?

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Ok M'friends....tell me about a Pfaff 230. I found one locally, but didn't pick it up...no attachments at all, in a cabinet (would prefer a case) Everything moves and it appears that the camstack is in one piece.... the guy wants $30, could probably get it for $20...
    Do I want it?
    Charlee -

The old Pfaffs are tanks. You can't beat the German engineering. For $30 you can flip it, but if it's in working condition I suspect you will be keeping. Also many of their cabinets are very "modern" in design. They have a very small footprint but are big on features and workspace. We love our modern Pfaffs and I have tried to snag a vintage, but every one I find is WAY expensive. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.

Darren

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    Ok my photos are not very good because there's horrible lighting in the guest house at the moment and they're all "stacked" in one room but here's my acquisitions from yesterday. I haven't looked at the serial numbers to date them yet:
    White Coffin Top:
    Attachment 362118
    Attachment 362119
    New Cottage in bentwood case:
    Attachment 362121
    Singer "Tiffany/Gingerbread" in case (in EXCELLENT condition too!):
    Attachment 362122
    Attachment 362123
    Singer in bentwood case (also in excellent condition):
    Attachment 362124
    Attachment 362125
    Attachment 362126
    Wow Jenn, what a beautiful collection! That White's cabinet looks great too! I think I like the first White and the New Cottage the best!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231 View Post
    Thanks Nancy, I had it that way once and wasn't sure it was right. I thought the friction disc was bad because I couldn't get the thread in between the disc, now I realize that it's more like a pulley with the spring putting pressure on the disc to resist turning. Thank you. Lee
    You are welcome Lee, and yes the tension is referred to as a 'pulley' in the manual.

Nancy

Brother HL2-B254 Sewing Machine Up for Grabs

I have a antique Brother HL2-B254 Sewing Machine in excellent working condition. It is 40+ years old with a matching cabinet and stool. I have user manuals in both Japanese and English. It also has a button hole maker and extra belt.

Would you or anyone you know be interested in this item or know of an antique or sewing machine store that might? You can email me at this address (charlene.oldham@gmail.com) and I will forward pictures additional details.

Blog Entries
    Charlene, 40 years is vintage, not antique. Unless you have other Japanese made machines from that era, you might want to hang on to it. They generally sew so well are are easy to maintain. For a machine that would sell for under $50, I wouldn't part with it.

BTW, we can't sell on here. Just in the 'Items for Sale or Trade' forum.

Blog Entries
    I sold a Singer 301 the other day. The lady knew what it was. She had a new Viking. It was costing her an arm and a leg to clean it every so often and she figured for just straight stitch she would use the 301 and for other stuff the Viking. Then she said she mostly sews straight stitch. Go figure.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Jeanie welcome aboard. I see you have already gotten the bug! You have two White Rotary machines now, but if you stay on this board you will have plenty more vintage machines before long. There is a vintage sewing machine bug that the rest of us have contracted - there is no cure! It is a lot of fun, though, and most of us don't want to find a cure! We need to see a photo of the second White?

Nancy
    Oh, I also have a vintage white and a featherweight.
    I already had that bug! LOL!
    www.jeancreates.blogspot.com