Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3911 of 4397 FirstFirst ... 2911 3411 3811 3861 3901 3910 3911 3912 3921 3961 4011 ... LastLast
Results 39,101 to 39,110 of 43963

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Now I wonder. I'm going to have to go take the needle out of the machine and look at it.
    I betcha it is a normal needle. I betcha it needs the industrial type - those are round at the top. It sews fine but that needle is tough to get out.
    Here should be a pic of the cam stack. I think there must be a way to change out the disks - I have a bunch more and no place for them to mount on the machine. Name:  Singer FW & Phoenix 283 004.JPG
Views: 290
Size:  130.2 KB
    it was easy to remove
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    I don't know if the second pic will turn up or not so I'll try again with a different shot
    Attachment 374190
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Ok here it is in the machine
    Attachment 374191

Blog Entries
    I still haven't been able to clean the machine but I can't keep from going and stroking it just a bit now and then...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Miriam,

The Phoenix Rotary is made by Baer & Rempel and takes a round shank 16x1 needle. The 1738 is also the same length and in fact may be the same needle. The 16x1 needle is the same length as the DBx1, but may have a different diameter (which does change between mfgs). And BTW is the same length as the 15x1 needle.

Cathy
    I had a tough time getting the needle out of the machine. The round shank needles from the consew fit in there but are a bit longer so they won't sew. At least I know what to buy and I know it isn't the wrong length. It makes a very nice stitch but no power yet.

Blog Entries
    I picked up a FW this afternoon and figured out why the 'tension' didn't work... The needle was in backwards
    Some rough looking paint and scrubbed off decals but a very good condition machine - sounds good - I oiled it just a bit and test sewed. Great little machine. She's setting in front of the Phoenix
    Attachment 374193
    On the Phoenix, the lever next to the stitch length lever works the camstack selection. Very neat and good engineering.
    Last edited by miriam; 11-03-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    wah - looks like the pics didn't show up. Wah.

Blog Entries
    miriam, pop the picture into Paint and resize it or Patrice has better directions. I had some like that. Same computer, same camera, go figure.

I passed on a metal Riccar in perfect condition today. Nice looking machine if you like shiny cream color ones.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    It had the needle in backwards.
    I remember many months ago when you had a needle in backwards also.

Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    yeah that would be me... Back then I was mostly using and working on machines that had the needle go straight back - hadn't used many with the side mount... I guess I thought they all went in like the FW. It sure does mess up a machine when you put the needle in backwards. You taught me well, Glenn. I learned new stuff on that Phoenix - that regular needle is too fat for the Phoenix - it will go in but it is hard to get out. I'd sure hate to break one in there. We celebrated Wilbur's birthday last night - he wanted pumpkin pie with 3 candles.