Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3968 of 4420 FirstFirst ... 2968 3468 3868 3918 3958 3967 3968 3969 3978 4018 4068 ... LastLast
Results 39,671 to 39,680 of 44191

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #39671
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Does anyone know what accessories are available for an Anker RZ, aka New Home CZ, aka Free Westinghouse? It is a low shank machine. Would any low shank accessories work on it? Also does anyone know a good source for the bobbin tire for the same machine? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks. ~G~
    Grant I know nothing about the Anker, but low shank feet are interchangeable with all your low shank machines - unless it is a dedicated left needle machine! I actually pieced a block of the month yesterday using my "Rodney" machine, which is a dedicated left needle position machine! I didn't think it was possible to do a 1/4" seam with one of those machines because your seam allowance is not even over the right feed dog. I have a straight stitch foot for the left needle machines. I just put the foot on and pieced using only the left feed . . . . worked great. I was really impressed with the machine too, very quiet, strong, and smooth.

    Great job Grant on the 99!

    Nancy

  2. #39672
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,190
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Grant I know nothing about the Anker, but low shank feet are interchangeable with all your low shank machines - unless it is a dedicated left needle machine! I actually pieced a block of the month yesterday using my "Rodney" machine, which is a dedicated left needle position machine! I didn't think it was possible to do a 1/4" seam with one of those machines because your seam allowance is not even over the right feed dog. I have a straight stitch foot for the left needle machines. I just put the foot on and pieced using only the left feed . . . . worked great. I was really impressed with the machine too, very quiet, strong, and smooth.

    Great job Grant on the 99!

    Nancy
    I was impressed with that machine for what ever reason, too. I think I would like it better if it was not dedicated left though.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  3. #39673
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    I like our descriptive names... clunck, clink, rattle.. and not to forget thingee, whatchamacallit, dohicky, thingamajigger.

    I told my daughter the other day that the store she wanted was kattywonkus to the gas station. She didn't understand, and then said 'Oh! you mean kittycornered!'.
    Mama, I love and use all these descriptive words! Everyone should know what all those slang words mean!
    Pretty soon your daughter will be a pro at using those slang words too!

    Nancy

  4. #39674
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Grant I know nothing about the Anker, but low shank feet are interchangeable with all your low shank machines - unless it is a dedicated left needle machine! I actually pieced a block of the month yesterday using my "Rodney" machine, which is a dedicated left needle position machine! I didn't think it was possible to do a 1/4" seam with one of those machines because your seam allowance is not even over the right feed dog. I have a straight stitch foot for the left needle machines. I just put the foot on and pieced using only the left feed . . . . worked great. I was really impressed with the machine too, very quiet, strong, and smooth.

    Great job Grant on the 99!

    Nancy
    Nancy, Thank you for this info. Although I am not a sewer as much as a restorer, this helps. I didn't know if because it is German if it would make a difference or not. I'm glad to hear that Rodney is a good machine. Sometimes looks can be deceiving. And Thank You for the compliment.
    ~G~

  5. #39675
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Elgin, IL
    Posts
    782
    I picked up a Pfaff 130 this weekend and was trying to clean it up a bit and this shows what a little rubbing alcohol followed by some car wax can do to even the worst dried on, baked on, oil and schmutz. I like the after shot. It shines so much it has a double reflection.
    ~G~

    Name:  PFSHINE.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  245.6 KB

  6. #39676
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I was impressed with that machine for what ever reason, too. I think I would like it better if it was not dedicated left though.
    Well I'd bet he was just impressed with the La Vincendora decals and the hand crank!

    Nancy

  7. #39677
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    7,157
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Miriam, I just use regular car wax. You can get it at any auto parts store or any store like Wal-Mart, Target, etc. too. The thing I want to stress though is it should be just a plain wax. Not rubbing or polishing compound and nothing with an abrasive in it. Abrasives are bad for sewing machines and their finish.
    ~G~
    Grant,

    How about a brand name and product version? There are a gazillion versions of "car wax" to look through. If you tell us specifically what you use it would save us a lot of looking.

    Joe

  8. #39678
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    7,157
    Grant,

    Just an additional comment. I have tried one form of car wax that was non abrasive and it did attack the decals. So I'm not gonna buy anything else until I know positively what to buy.

    Joe

  9. #39679
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    I picked up a Pfaff 130 this weekend and was trying to clean it up a bit and this shows what a little rubbing alcohol followed by some car wax can do to even the worst dried on, baked on, oil and schmutz. I like the after shot. It shines so much it has a double reflection.
    ~G~

    Name:  PFSHINE.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  245.6 KB
    Geeze, that 130 shines! I have always been afraid of rubbing alcohol and decals! That machine looks great! Please post a photo after you have that machine all cleaned up!

    Now if you want a machine that would have no problem doing sails - it is the Pfaff 130! In fact, the 130 was used for making/repairing sails by a lot of sailors! I feel guilty sometimes that I don't use my 130 more. Between the Pfaff 1222e with the built in walking foot, the Pfaff 130 for its power, and my Singer 319 for decorative - I really don't need another machine! Hummmmm, I have to add, though, that the Pfaff 360 just does the most amazing job with free motion work! Although, I have never tried to FM with the 130! The 1222e also does great with FM!

    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 12-04-2012 at 06:36 AM.

  10. #39680
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Grant,

    Just an additional comment. I have tried one form of car wax that was non abrasive and it did attack the decals. So I'm not gonna buy anything else until I know positively what to buy.

    Joe
    Joe, I've had good luck with MacGuire's Carnauba wax. A couple of my machines came to me sans clear coat and the decals exposed. Cleaned with sewing machine oil, and then the wax....they're fine and they shine now!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.