Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4242 of 4416 FirstFirst ... 3242 3742 4142 4192 4232 4241 4242 4243 4252 4292 4342 ... LastLast
Results 42,411 to 42,420 of 44160

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Chris that machine is not a 15, look at the tension. It looks like a 99 to me, but with the wrong bobbin assembly! Let us know when you know!

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 08-28-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    Miriam, The feed dogs do drop via a lever on the bed underneath the bobbin winding mechanism.
    to all, I agree the bobbin holder looks different than others I've seen.

Nancy, I agree it is not a 15 but it's like they somehow married a 99 and a 15 together with some features from each.

Am thinking of emailing the ISMACS digest along with pictures about this to see if some from across the pond have more information about this machine. It may be that someone over there has one or has the information.
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Miriam, The feed dogs do drop via a lever on the bed underneath the bobbin winding mechanism.
    to all, I agree the bobbin holder looks different than others I've seen.

Nancy, I agree it is not a 15 but it's like they somehow married a 99 and a 15 together with some features from each.

Am thinking of emailing the ISMACS digest along with pictures about this to see if some from across the pond have more information about this machine. It may be that someone over there has one or has the information.
    Maybe Muv knows something.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I just came back on the forum. Life has been in the way. This Singer being discussed was made in Germany in the early 1954-55. It should be a model 215. It's stitch forming mechanism (bobbin and hook) are of the class 15 design, even though the tension is not on the side like most class 15s of that era. I would call it a 15. This model was not sold in the USA.

Cathy
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    I just came back on the forum. Life has been in the way. This Singer being discussed was made in Germany in the early 1954-55. It should be a model 215. It's stitch forming mechanism (bobbin and hook) are of the class 15 design, even though the tension is not on the side like most class 15s of that era. I would call it a 15. This model was not sold in the USA.

Cathy
    Cathy; Thank you. I have never heard of a 215 before. Is it a rare machine? I ask because this was gifted to me and I don't want to take advantage of the giftor.
    Wanted to add: Do you have one or have you ever sewed on one?
    Last edited by chris_quilts; 08-28-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    I owe my $5 Singer 404 an apology. I have been using it at church and commenting that it isn't as strong as the 301 on thick seams. Today I discovered I have piecing with the feed dogs down. Duh! It is a good little machine after all.

SA's pricing is strange. $9.99 for a 50s Japanese clone in a pretty light color - the only thing I didn't like was the left dedicated needle. It sewed well. $29.99 for a light green and cream Kenmore whose flywheel only turned a few inches in either direction. If I were in the market, I wouldn't pay more for the one that doesn't work.

Chris,

I don't think I'd call it rare, just not real common. That model was probably only made for a few years and not sold here in the states. Not I don't have one. And I don't remember ever sewing or working on one.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Cathy; Thank you. I have never heard of a 215 before. Is it a rare machine? I ask because this was gifted to me and I don't want to take advantage of the giftor.
    Wanted to add: Do you have one or have you ever sewed on one?
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    Cathy I hope you get back on your feet soon. I've really missed you around here. I keep meaning to say something and never do.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Chris,

I don't think I'd call it rare, just not real common. That model was probably only made for a few years and not sold here in the states. Not I don't have one. And I don't remember ever sewing or working on one.

Cathy
    Thanks again for the information on the machine. I will let the giftor know its uncommon in the States and let them decide where to go from there. Either way, I will clean him up and get him sewing again. I have several projects, not quilts, waiting in the wings that he can handle ~ provided he's all clean.
    Seconding the wishes for your recovery and rejoining us on the site.

Blog Entries
    Hi Cathy, Glad you are on the mend. Welcome back
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland