Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Banned

Congrats!!! They are pretty.

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
I bought a portable Redeye with a nice bentwood cover for $5 today. I know they are a common machine, but I like them. It will nice to have a model when I put mine back together. It's an e machine for now, but I can't say I care for the looks of the wiring. The head looks well loved but has quite a bit of color left.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Steve, What a wonderful machine you got!! It's really neat looking. Can't wait for the new thread on it when it all gets there and together.
Janis
Old 09-21-2013, 03:50 PM

I'm really happy with the National Two Spool Treadle! We had to take her out of the cabinet to be able to move her -- since we don't have a truck. The cabinet is faded and worn, so I'll probably refinish it. No deep scratches or anything, but it is disassembled now so this would be a good time to clean it up! The thrill of owning such a machine wouldn't be there if I couldn't make it work! LOL

Jeanette Frantz
Old 09-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Glenn taught me how to French polish on a Singer 15 centennial I have - the machine had awful finish. Glenn sure does do wonders with the finish. I am thinking he needs to make a video but Muv needs to come over and help. Drop by Huntsville, Alabama at Glenn's house some time, Muv. The French polishing is a lot easier to get if you see it than if you read about it. A photo does not do justice how to do it. It is actually pretty simple.

We sorted a couple totes of attachments. I think he was overwhelmed. We found a few things we don't know what they were. If I ever run across them again maybe I'll start something - whatsitz... in the mean time you all collect your own whatsitz pieces.

Glenn has the cutest little gray poodle - I think Doodles is a poodle anyway. She sat in the shop and watched us work on machines. When ever Glenn goes out of the room the dog paces and worries or she goes with Glenn.

I have a Simplex which is a 15 clone - occupied Japan. The bobbin area is backwards from everything else. It took both of us to get it back together.

I got to see the fishing quilt everybody made Glenn last year or was it the year before? That is ONE COOL QUILT. Nancy did an awesome job putting that one together - stunning, Nancy! I think we teased Glenn so much we all felt guilty and made quilt blocks. It was about time some more guys showed up on here. I think Glenn is happy we don't pick on him so much.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 PM

I have a National Two Spool Treadle Machine. Mine sews! And, I have my own resident sewing machine mechanic! My son worked on sewing machines for 14 years, including industrial machines and long-arm machines. The machine I have used to belong to my husband's great-grandmother. Although it has some wear on the decals, it's really in good shape otherwise. The cabinet it came in is also good, although the finish is a little worn. When we get things straightened up around here, I 'll take a closer look and see -- it may need to be refinished! But, I can do that myself! My husband was a cabinetmaker/woodworker, so I have the knowledge and experience to do it!

Enjoy working on the machine!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 09-22-2013, 07:00 PM

Hi gals and guys! I was given a 1936 Singer 15-91 potted motor a few weeks ago. I read a few blogs and thought I could tackle bringing it back to working condition. All the wires were bare and/or broken, so I couldn't test the machine/motor before I started taking it apart to clean. I rewired the lamp without problems; thought I fixed the connecting wires from the motor correctly. I cleaned all the old grease and put the motor back together, but once connect to the plug it doesn't work I need help to figure out how to find out what is going (not) on with the motor. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I also need a source to buy the grease cup felt or a replacement.[ATTACH=CONFIG]437591[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437592[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]437593[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf5764-600.jpg   dscf5802-600.jpg   dscf5771-600.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 01:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Glenn taught me how to French polish on a Singer 15 centennial I have - the machine had awful finish. Glenn sure does do wonders with the finish. I am thinking he needs to make a video but Muv needs to come over and help. Drop by Huntsville, Alabama at Glenn's house some time, Muv. The French polishing is a lot easier to get if you see it than if you read about it. A photo does not do justice how to do it. It is actually pretty simple.

We sorted a couple totes of attachments. I think he was overwhelmed. We found a few things we don't know what they were. If I ever run across them again maybe I'll start something - whatsitz... in the mean time you all collect your own whatsitz pieces.

Glenn has the cutest little gray poodle - I think Doodles is a poodle anyway. She sat in the shop and watched us work on machines. When ever Glenn goes out of the room the dog paces and worries or she goes with Glenn.

I have a Simplex which is a 15 clone - occupied Japan. The bobbin area is backwards from everything else. It took both of us to get it back together.

I got to see the fishing quilt everybody made Glenn last year or was it the year before? That is ONE COOL QUILT. Nancy did an awesome job putting that one together - stunning, Nancy! I think we teased Glenn so much we all felt guilty and made quilt blocks. It was about time some more guys showed up on here. I think Glenn is happy we don't pick on him so much.
We worked some on French polishing up an old barn fresh Singer redeye. I took a lot of pictures - there will be a post - it is exciting - stay tuned.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 AM

All I can say, sewlovely2, is that you are adventuresome. I know I wouldn't tackle your machine.... a little fearful I am. But, I hope you get it working again.... keep us posted.

Miriam..... can't wait for your post.....
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 AM

Default Help my 15-91 motor come back to life!

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
All I can say, sewlovely2, is that you are adventuresome. I know I wouldn't tackle your machine.... a little fearful I am. But, I hope you get it working again.... keep us posted.

Miriam..... can't wait for your post.....
Hi nanna-up-north,
This machine might have been more than I know how to fix but, I 've seen so many abused machines brought back to life by the folks in this group (and a few other blogs) that I thought I should give it a try. I wait for any any any helpful suggestions . Miriam in VT

Last edited by Sewlovely2; 09-23-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I have a National Two Spool Treadle Machine. Mine sews!

Jeanette Frantz
I use mine for all my piecing work since the machine has the 1/4'' foot, and the feed dogs are both the same length which feeds the fabric through evenly. Plus, I love the sound the machine makes as it is treadled- a happy gallop.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your machine in the cleaned up cabinet and your first project!