Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-06-2014, 03:28 PM

Billy,
Thanks for the invite. I was lucky today and got a Singer model JC213797 she is in a cabinet. Made in Canada any information for me?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-07-2014, 12:22 PM

My little 128 blackside went to a new home today. The young man would have bought anything that said Singer on it, but my 301s are not for sale. Actually, I 'd sell the mocha long bed, but not until after I have a short bed replacement. He may be back for the Admiral, but wasn't terribly interested in the Leader treadle. Wants one of my Redeyes, but I can't sell one until I have my favorite back together. I may need a put together one to use as a model.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 AM

Irishrose, I wouldn't sell any of the 30ls either. I have several and I use one then use another that way it keeps them serviced. Love my redeye too.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Irishrose, I wouldn't sell any of the 30ls either.
I saw a 301 on CL last week and I had the discipline not to respond. I've regretted it ever since. Man, I hate withdrawal. It was in a #42 cabinet, too, the one with the black trim and the drawers instead of the door. I wouldn't be able to fit on the little bench (I'm 6'2" -- it would be like trying to ride a tricycle) but it's cool to look at.

Anyway, here's some methadone in the form of Brother, back when they made some very good machines (in my opinion):

Deluxe Selectomatic:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482062[/ATTACH]

210:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482063[/ATTACH]

Streamliner:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482064[/ATTACH]

Atlas Deluxe Zig-Zag:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482065[/ATTACH]

Atlas Straight:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482066[/ATTACH]

Btw, I was checking out some Baby Lock machines and I found out that Baby Lock doesn't make any sewing machines. Most are re-badged Brothers with slight modifications and considerably higher prices. Don't be fooled!
Attached Thumbnails brotherolderselectomatic-800x600-.jpg   brotherselectomatic-800x600-.jpg   brotherstreamliner-800x600-.jpg   atlaszigzag-800x600-.jpg   atlasstraightstitch-800x600-.jpg  

Old 07-08-2014, 06:18 AM

The Singer 301 just reappeared on CL and at a lower price. Keep me strong, people!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:05 AM

Forgot to add my most recent acquisition, a Kenmore 158.19131 -- $7.99 at Value Village! All it needed is a new needle. 1.2 amps and the thing runs like a champ. Summer is here and it's time for a convertible:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]482075[/ATTACH]

I'd like to try to make my own jeans and work pants. So I need to actually learn to sew. But I need a good iron. I bought a Rowenta and it's terrible. It's so bad that I can't in good conscience give it to charity because I don't want to do something that cruel to someone else. So it's going to a landfill. I'm thinking a vintage iron like a Sunbeam or a GE but I don't want a steam iron because those old ones leak onto the fabric and leave rust spots. I guess I could just run it dry...?

I know this is a sewing machine thread but do you good folks have some recommendations on irons and ironing, seeing as it appears that's something I'm going to have to do quite a bit? I hate ironing.
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-158.19131-800x600-.jpg  
Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 AM

I too, tried a Rowenta and paid a lot of money for it - it spit - returned. BUT now I have a Rowenta Steam Generator which is lots more than the regular one but oh, my does it steam and No leaks. I love it. You have to press the trigger to make steam.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:29 PM

I have a cheap black and decker and love it. I paid the big bucks for a rowenta and gave it to GW. did not like.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:05 PM

[I] think you are in for a surprise. All steam irons will leak unless they are up to temperature. At least that is my opinion. My past 23.00 dollar iron in the grave yard was one of the best I ever owned. Not available anymore. My advice is take a shot in the dark and see if you can find any articles from Consumer reports or maybe some one here has a recommendation
Good luck
dawn227
Old 07-09-2014, 05:15 AM

Before I got my Rowenta Steam Generator - all the steam irons I had leaked &/or spit. It didn't matter if they were up to temp or not. It seemed the longer I ironed the more it spit. I used to iron for extra money. The only thing I iron now is an occasional blouse and quilt fabric. I'm thinking if you don't want an iron to leak/spit the only way to get around that is to buy a $6 one and never put water in it. Just use a spray bottle. I have two extra irons now - one a light weight one for $6 and a really heavy one (I like heavy) for about $30. Don't use 'em unless I take them to class.