Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4367 of 4373 FirstFirst ... 3367 3867 4267 4317 4357 4366 4367 4368 ... LastLast
Results 43,661 to 43,670 of 43723

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
    I'm still unclear, are we speaking of a round bobbin machine, or a long bobbin machine?
    I apologize for being unclear. This is a round bobbin machine - both actually are round bobbins. I hope to post pics tomorrow. Great to know I can buy ground down needles.

Chris
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Use a hand crank grinder!! !^}
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"
    quote by __________ I forget who.

Blog Entries
    Ya'll make me laugh! After going to Astoria and Seaside, Oregon, I realize how much the vintage machine has gained in value. Two years ago, a trip resulted in the purchase of a Morse SS. My first. Now, an Elna Grasshopper is 50 times the price I paid for that Morse. Value is beginning to sink in for those folks stuck in our tough times. So glad to have what I have.
    Annette

If you want to be a leader in this world, drive slowly on a two-lane road.

Blog Entries
    Hey all. After browsing sewing machines on CL today I saw this child Betsy Ross machine in a cute little red case. Perhaps someone would like to add it to their collection.

Also there is a cool white Morse machine.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 07-06-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add machine
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Billy,
    Thanks for the invite. I was lucky today and got a Singer model JC213797 she is in a cabinet. Made in Canada any information for me?
    Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    My little 128 blackside went to a new home today. The young man would have bought anything that said Singer on it, but my 301s are not for sale. Actually, I 'd sell the mocha long bed, but not until after I have a short bed replacement. He may be back for the Admiral, but wasn't terribly interested in the Leader treadle. Wants one of my Redeyes, but I can't sell one until I have my favorite back together. I may need a put together one to use as a model.

Blog Entries
    Irishrose, I wouldn't sell any of the 30ls either. I have several and I use one then use another that way it keeps them serviced. Love my redeye too.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    Irishrose, I wouldn't sell any of the 30ls either.
    I saw a 301 on CL last week and I had the discipline not to respond. I've regretted it ever since. Man, I hate withdrawal. It was in a #42 cabinet, too, the one with the black trim and the drawers instead of the door. I wouldn't be able to fit on the little bench (I'm 6'2" -- it would be like trying to ride a tricycle) but it's cool to look at.

Anyway, here's some methadone in the form of Brother, back when they made some very good machines (in my opinion):

Deluxe Selectomatic:
    Name:  brotherOlderSelectomatic (800x600).jpg
Views: 83
Size:  308.9 KB

210:
    Name:  brotherSelectomatic (800x600).jpg
Views: 80
Size:  296.1 KB

Streamliner:
    Name:  brotherStreamliner (800x600).jpg
Views: 81
Size:  283.6 KB

Atlas Deluxe Zig-Zag:
    Name:  atlasZigZag (800x600).jpg
Views: 83
Size:  281.3 KB

Atlas Straight:
    Name:  atlasStraightStitch (800x600).jpg
Views: 82
Size:  279.1 KB

Btw, I was checking out some Baby Lock machines and I found out that Baby Lock doesn't make any sewing machines. Most are re-badged Brothers with slight modifications and considerably higher prices. Don't be fooled!

The Singer 301 just reappeared on CL and at a lower price. Keep me strong, people!

Forgot to add my most recent acquisition, a Kenmore 158.19131 -- $7.99 at Value Village! All it needed is a new needle. 1.2 amps and the thing runs like a champ. Summer is here and it's time for a convertible:

Name:  Kenmore 158.19131 (800x600).jpg
Views: 84
Size:  271.7 KB

I'd like to try to make my own jeans and work pants. So I need to actually learn to sew. But I need a good iron. I bought a Rowenta and it's terrible. It's so bad that I can't in good conscience give it to charity because I don't want to do something that cruel to someone else. So it's going to a landfill. I'm thinking a vintage iron like a Sunbeam or a GE but I don't want a steam iron because those old ones leak onto the fabric and leave rust spots. I guess I could just run it dry...?

I know this is a sewing machine thread but do you good folks have some recommendations on irons and ironing, seeing as it appears that's something I'm going to have to do quite a bit? I hate ironing.