Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Walking or Plaid Matcher or Even foot for a White 77 >

Walking or Plaid Matcher or Even foot for a White 77

Walking or Plaid Matcher or Even foot for a White 77

Old 12-23-2013, 06:40 PM

Default Walking or Plaid Matcher or Even foot for a White 77

I would so like to get this attachment if they were made for the White Rotary 77. I have done searches in the past and again resently but have never found one for these types of of feet.

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...7-series-x.pdf

I use this sewing machine more then any of my others and never have a problem with it. I believe I have all the other attachments including the zig zag and blind stitch. Just can't seem to find a walking/plaid/even feed type foot for it. Is there even one made for these types?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 PM

Is it short shank (about 1/2"), high shank (about 1") very high shank or slant? If it's short shank, finding one will be relatively easy.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Is it short shank (about 1/2"), high shank (about 1") very high shank or slant? If it's short shank, finding one will be relatively easy.
It's a short shank but does not have the side screw for the foot, mine uses feet like these, the old type. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-LOT-ANT...8#ht_126wt_644
Old 12-24-2013, 06:25 AM

You can't get a walking foot for your White 77, but you can reduce the foot pressure and it will quilt quite well. I do that when I use my Singer 66 red eye, it has back clamping feet, so no way I can use a walking foot either.
Sharon
Old 12-24-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by caroloto View Post
I would so like to get this attachment if they were made for the White Rotary 77. I have done searches in the past and again resently but have never found one for these types of of feet.

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...7-series-x.pdf

I use this sewing machine more then any of my others and never have a problem with it. I believe I have all the other attachments including the zig zag and blind stitch. Just can't seem to find a walking/plaid/even feed type foot for it. Is there even one made for these types?
The service manual you provided doesn't show an even foot or walking foot for this machine. One wasn't made that works with rotaries.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 AM

I've never seen a walking foot for a top clamp application, and expect they didn't get popular until after the top clamp became obsolete. that would have been about the time White stopped being a stand along company (forget who they merged with).
Old 12-24-2013, 10:09 AM

Thanks all I didn't think one was made for these top clamps but was hoping I was wrong as I have the ZigZag and Blind which isn't in the manual. I believe these were made after the top clamp became obsolete yet I could be wrong.

I know I can reduce the foot pressure but when I do for top stitching on layer items I can't get an even feed on the stitching and or when I tighten it so it will feed more even I will end up getting pucker.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM

I'll let you know if I ever see one. I watch ebay somewhat "religiously" for sewing machine attachments (Ok, so I've got an addiction".

It's easy enough to find zigzag (plain and fancy), blind hem, buttonholers, and hemstitchers with the top clamp. I even got a single thread embroidery attachment for a top clamp.

And if you find one, it might not fit the White - I was reading in my attachment book, and it said at one time there were 12 different configurations of clamp width and needle position.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:08 PM

BTW- I expect if there is a walking foot, it will attach like the buttonholer does - where you remove the whole top clamping unit and use the set screw to secure the attachment to the round pressure foot bar.

I've been looking, and so far the older walking feet have been Singer, and all side clamp. The concept of the walking foot has been around a long time (I have a veritcal feed Davis) but I don't think they were made as attachments on a regular basis until much later.

I know Singer came out with the Penguin foot pretty early on, but I don't see anything in between until they came out with the white one that is basically plastic.

Who knows - there may have been a walking foot for the top clamp machines, and it may be as rare as the penguin is - another fun thing to look for.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
BTW- I expect if there is a walking foot, it will attach like the buttonholer does - where you remove the whole top clamping unit and use the set screw to secure the attachment to the round pressure foot bar.

I've been looking, and so far the older walking feet have been Singer, and all side clamp. The concept of the walking foot has been around a long time (I have a veritcal feed Davis) but I don't think they were made as attachments on a regular basis until much later.

I know Singer came out with the Penguin foot pretty early on, but I don't see anything in between until they came out with the white one that is basically plastic.

Who knows - there may have been a walking foot for the top clamp machines, and it may be as rare as the penguin is - another fun thing to look for.
Thank you Cathy! I will also be keeping my searches on just in case there was one made and will let you know if I come across one. My Singer 66 has the same top clamp and can use the same feet the White does.