Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Walking or Plaid Matcher or Even foot for a White 77 >

Walking or Plaid Matcher or Even foot for a White 77

Walking or Plaid Matcher or Even foot for a White 77

Old 12-24-2013, 03:06 PM

You've got a singer outfitted to take top clamp - never seen one of those, but I expect all it takes is swapping out the pressure foot bar. Unless the back clamp bar is the right diameter to slip a top clamp ring on. I'll have to go look at one of mind and check that out. I suppose if you put a White top clamp ring on it, and the needle hole lines up correctly, you'd be good to go.

I looked at both my side and back clamp 66's. Would you please share a picture of your 66 that takes the top clamp? I think I've seen adapters for the top clamp, so it would be neat to see if it's got an adapter or if someone swapped out the pressure bar.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
You've got a singer outfitted to take top clamp - never seen one of those, but I expect all it takes is swapping out the pressure foot bar. Unless the back clamp bar is the right diameter to slip a top clamp ring on. I'll have to go look at one of mind and check that out. I suppose if you put a White top clamp ring on it, and the needle hole lines up correctly, you'd be good to go.

I looked at both my side and back clamp 66's. Would you please share a picture of your 66 that takes the top clamp? I think I've seen adapters for the top clamp, so it would be neat to see if it's got an adapter or if someone swapped out the pressure bar.
I'm sorry I made a mistake and messed up thinking of the wrong sewing machine, my Singer 66 has the back screw it's my Davis that has the top clamp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]453138[/ATTACH]

While searching once again just hoping I will find a top clamp walking type foot for my White FR 77 I came across this site. http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...ngtreadle.html on there it says that you can change out the Singer 66..."pre-1920 versions may have a non-standard foot, with a clamping screw on the back instead of on the side. These will not accept modern feet. Not a major problem, but a consideration. Many pre-1920 machines were converted to the more modern side clamping foot in later years, and actually this can still be done."

But then bad new written here about the White..."The White Family Rotary, or FR, is one of my three favoritest machines. It was much ahead of it's time when first brought out. They are really well made and a pleasure to use, also very attractive. There are a lot of them, and parts are generally not a problem to find. They use standard needles but use the older style top clamping feet, so you can't fit piecing, walking or darning feet. Grandma couldn't either, and she still did all of her sewing and quilting on these things, so that isn't the end of the world. I have and use two lovely White FR's regularly. They are one of the strongest of the old treadles. If you find one, give it very serious consideration… you won't be sorry."
Attached Thumbnails 2012-10-29_14-58-07_457.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 05:12 PM

I think you could use the darning spring on one of these. I've got two of them - they hook to the needle and don't attach to the foot at all.

I intend to mess around and see if I can modify a hopping foot to fit on the top clamp. I've got lots of extra feet, and I can pick up hopping feet for about $15 so I'm not too worried if I ruin one trying. I've got a White vibrating shuttle, and a White rotary and will be getting a much older White rotary after the 1st of the year.