what am I?

Old 03-24-2012, 07:10 AM

I try to be rational and leave my collection at 2 but in my heart there is always room for more. in my home there is no room. lol good luck
Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 AM

I have a one in-one out policy, but it's fairly, er, flexible, especially for just heads. I can *always* find room for another one of those, it's the table that take up space.

The last time Hubby counted my sewing machines, I counted his fishing poles (conveniently in the other end of my sewing room) and that was the end of that!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 AM

Isn't this forum the greates? Need an answer and you get it. Great looking machine.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 PM

just a though on the strange bump/funnel/stack thing. Recall that in this era machine frames were cast iron affairs, and casting iron with sand required making molds. mold makers were professionals and it was a bit of an art ( though they were not really that well paid ) but if you have a working and proven mold, no sense changing horses mid stream. Also and this is just speculation and rambling molds parted and everything cast had to be made with a 'draft" ( taper so that it would come free of the sand.... the funnel could also have been the remnants of incorporated into the "sprue" the hole that the molten metal was poured into. has the correct tapered shape and a simple facing operation to cut it off flat is much less labor intensive than trying to machine it down clear to the rounded contour of the arm.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 PM

greywuuf, that top piece is pretty big to be a sprue for casting...and while I can understand your theory because of my study of cast iron cookware, I don't believe that this is a sprue. I've yet to see a true sprue on a sewing machine, due to the large "underside" of the machines, it would not have been necessary, nor would it have made sense, to pour from the top of the machine head. Even the oldest of machines don't have a sprue on the top side of the machine that I've seen.
Interesting theory tho, and one that bears more investigation!