Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What is with the Casige "Toy" machines? >

What is with the Casige "Toy" machines?

What is with the Casige "Toy" machines?

Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Cathy, I would wholeheartedly agree to that.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 AM

I love to collect the toy machines (I have about 50 in an album on here) but I don't sew with them just for fun!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
It was a toy. I had a toy sewing machine as a kid. I don't remember getting stuck with the needle BUT, I'm sure that if I did, I'd have lived thru it & I wouldn't have done it again! There were a lot of "dangerous" toys....Easy Bake Ovens got hot enough to bake a cake! Personally, I think that we don't give kids enough credit for intelligence nowadays...
toys. i had one, i even figured a way to adjust the "tension" on that miserable & frustrating little chain stitch. i made copies of all my favorite dresses for my dolls. i also had a toy stove that i burned myself on a few times when my oldest brother & i would gather fresh mustard greens from family garden & i would cook them on the stove top. don't remember if the oven worked, tho it probably did. but we were, & still are, vegie lovers more than cake lovers

agreed. i too, don't think we give kids enough credit for intelligence now. but then again, kids need to be taught how to safely, correctly, use that intelligence. skills they are being denied by dumb parenting & dumber education system.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:06 AM

I have to agree we are overly protective and give less instruction to our little ones these days. I can remember making creepy crawlers when I was 10 and once you poke your finger into the goop to see if it's is done yet and burn yourself, you learn very quickly not to do it that way! Use the tool!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:35 AM

Snort. I always wanted creepy crawlers but I was always sent off to play in the backyard with jarts.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:34 AM

My neighbor is having an auction this weekend. The kids cleaning out the house found a pristine toy Singer in a beautiful and original case. The machine shows no evidence of every having the clamp put on it. I have a nice collection of toys and was bummed when the son told me he hopes to buy it for his wife, a quilter. He's a friend, so I wouldn't bid against him.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
......I have never seen a toy that was such great quality that it would make me want to buy a 'real' one. In fact the toys are such terrible sewers that they have turned many a child off from ever wanting anything to do with sewing.
That's where I'm at. My daughter is 10. She has been helping my in my woodworking shop since she was 4. She has a pretty decent collection of real hand tools that she knows how to use along with a lathe and a scrollsaw. I watch her when she's using the lathe and scrollsaw and she doesn't get to use my tablesaw.
She also has 3 sewing machines- all real. When I asked her if she would prefer one of the new toy sewing machines instead of her real ones she laughed.
I believe in giving kids real tools like an adult would use otherwise you set them up to fail at whatever they're trying to do.
Rodney
Old 07-16-2014, 09:31 AM

I think the children now are just as smart as we were, it is some of the adults I worry about. I had an electric iron that got really hot, sewing machine with a needle, easy bake oven and a chemistry set that would freak any parent now out. I didn't burn myself or the dog and I definitely knew that the chemicals stayed out of the easy bake cake mixes. I even rode my bike without a helmet or knee pads, and lived to tell about it.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Snort. I always wanted creepy crawlers but I was always sent off to play in the backyard with jarts.
And drinking water out of the hose......
Old 07-16-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
good think I wasn't drinking - ended up snorting and choking anyway LOL!!