Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What did I bring home and how do I kill it? >

What did I bring home and how do I kill it?

What did I bring home and how do I kill it?

Old 04-26-2014, 03:07 PM

Default What did I bring home and how do I kill it?

First off somebody stop me. I am out of control!

Secondly, since I am sure none of your would try and stop me, I brought home an OLD treadle cabinet from an estate sale that has some (a few) tiny holes in the wood. I was told it was Powder Post Wood Beetles and to kill them. Do NOT allow them to get into your house woodwork. That sounds like a great idea.

My research led me to products that I cannot get my hands on immediately. I could try and order them but it would take 7-10 days for them to arrive. We are expecting rain. I cannot leave the cabinet outside. It has to come into the garage. Has anyone dealt with these pests before? What can you advise?

*I used a product I have on have for termites and carpenter ants called Bonide. http://m.bonide.com/pest.php?id=89 There website is poorly written IMO, but it seems to point to the idea that this product would work. I can't call them until Monday. I sprayed the cabinet heavily and left in the open air to dry then wrapped it in plastic and put just inside the garage.

I would still love some input and promise pictures to come. Don't get overly excited..cabinet is in poor condition.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:26 PM

Try calling some pest control places on Monday. You might find one that can fumigate it for you. The holes are where the larva have eaten their way out and left. That doesn't mean there aren't more inside though.
I've seen boards with only a few holes on the outside that were completely riddled on the inside when I planed them down. They're nasty little bugs.
I don't know any easy solutions but would still like to see the treadle.
Rodney
Old 04-26-2014, 03:53 PM

My fear is that any pests will move into something else while I wait for Monday. Is that likely?
Old 04-26-2014, 04:18 PM

Oooohhhh, this isn't at ALL what I expected to find you brought home! Ick, ick, ick! I think I would wrap it up really well in a tarp and leave the cabinet outside. Can you just take in the head?
Old 04-26-2014, 04:22 PM

I was thinking of putting the large trash bags over it and sealing it the best you can.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:30 PM

bag it, seal it up, throw in some moth balls, just for the heck of it. (do they still sell moth balls?? or maybe camphor oil) They're insidious. Once I had an old washboard hanging on wall. (drywall) one day it just disintegrated and fell down, riddled with dry rot from the inside out.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:43 PM

I would leave it outside, it can't be worth ruining your whole house for. Think about all the stories you've heard about bed bugs and how hard it is to get rid of them. Maybe those beetles are just as bad.
Good luck
Old 04-26-2014, 05:06 PM

Well I did spray it heavily and with stuff that is made to kill termites and Carpenter Ants and it is wrapped in plastic. I am still anxious though. Ugh. I wish it wasn't going to rain! This is the cabinet and the machine inside. I don't know much about it yet as i can barely see it and can't remove it from the cabinet yet. All the drawers and openings are stuck fast except the top drawer. I can't access a way to remove the machine just yet.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0942-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0954-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0932-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0947-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 05:11 PM

In checking the ISMACS site, the serial number is coming up with a date of 1883 for the machine.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:16 PM

Set it up on some blocks so that it won't sit in the rain on driveway. Then cover.