Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What do I need for the Workroom? >

What do I need for the Workroom?

What do I need for the Workroom?

Old 05-29-2015, 06:58 AM

Ok- I went through the post Miriam linked (thank you!)

Since my husband has a well stocked shop from years as a mechanic, there are some tools he has that I won't duplicate at this time. Some of them he may move to the workshop as he plans on using it for working on smaller projects too - no small gas engines though!

Some of the more common stuff, like screwdrivers, I'm not listing because I already have them. And since the vast majority of my machines are treadle, I'm not going to stock any electrical supplies to start with. If DH wants them, he can bring them from the shop.

Fire extenquisher (because we keep on in any building we work in - just in case)
Dremel tool with lots of attachments
Magnifying glass on stand
Flashlight
Small vice
Tweezers
Camera mount (I have a nice DSLR, may need to get an "upclose" lens for it)
magnetic pad (have several trays) hopefully a used vehicle sign.

Supplies:
Pipe cleaners
q tips
Soft foam for supporting machines
rubber bands
steel wool
disposable syringe
disposable makeup tools
Popsicle sticks
Tooth pics
bamboo skewers
hemostats
hose (for noise location)
Old 05-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Must have Tammi's pool noodle cut in lengths - very handy.

The men selling them freak out because I'm picky but I look for antique screwdrivers at flea markets - I haven't bought a new screw driver that is any good.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:49 AM

I find carpet squares used upside down really work well because I can spin the machine around easily. Get a Dremel with a cord the battery charger goes out on the battery driven ones. Light with an adjustable arm so it can be pointed at your work.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Banned

Dental stuff. Picks, the tiny brush things for cleaning between braces, etc. All great for cleaning under and inside the machines.

Cari
Old 05-29-2015, 01:45 PM

I thought this was going to be your sewing room. Are you combining the space with fixing machines too?
You're also going to need a space for fixing cabinets, cases, etc. Do you already have a separate wood shop?

I'm assuming you already have all the basics like sewing machine oil.
Alcohol is a great cleaner for non-japanned parts. It dissolves old oil quickly. Just don't get it on your shellac. Mineral spirits is ok, it won't damage shellac but leaves an oily residue.
Shop rags.
Hand cleaner.
Fireproof container or other safe means of storing or disposing of oily rags.
A small luxury: A small shop vac and micro attachments for sucking dirt and lint out of your machines. Here's one example of the attachments: http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Vacuum-A.../dp/B000BSJCLY
Good for keeping your work area clean too.
The white pads are a good idea. Probably easy enough to make from muslin and batting. They'll help keep your bench clean and help prevent screws from rolling off the bench too.
Think about some sort of tool rack to keep all your tools organized and handy. Far better than digging around in the bottom of a tool box every time you need something.
I hope this helps.
Rodney
Old 05-29-2015, 06:17 PM

Thank you - MacyBaby and Rodney for putting things in list form. I have frequently used the little brushes Cari mentioned.
I have also used oxi-clean, evaporust, & citric acid for cleaning attachments. I have started using Brasso per SteveH's recommendation. I used to use simichrome for metal but have found a new use for it. I use it on the Singer button foot controllers to clean/polish them up and also found that it really improved the appearance of the the T&S cases. For the hand crank pinker with the godzilla finish I used "Turtle Wax Color Back Finish Restorer." I used it after cleaning the pinker about 5 years ago and it still looks good.
Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:51 PM

Zip lock bags and note pad for keeping parts and screws together with note indicating for what machine.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:51 PM

can somebody explain the pool noodle?
Old 05-29-2015, 07:12 PM

Rodney - we have an old farmstead - the wood working shop is in the big garage/shed. We darn near rebuilt our house, and have the tools to prove it. I'll do the dirty work somewhere else, but can use the workshop for finishing. It's eventually going to have an exhaust fan installed in there.

We picked up quite a bit at Wallmart (including the noodle) - sure was a strange collection of items LOL!!

Stopped at Cambells and picked up a small Pony clamp and some screwdrivers. Picked up a broom, dustpan and whisk, along with the portable AC unit at Menards. We'll be putting masonite over the top of the workbench as a replaceable surface.

Too bad SteveH is only going to be here for a short time - I could keep him cleaning machines for ages!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:38 PM

An air compressor is a great asset. We've been really happy with the Makita air compressor at the shop. I have a beat up portable Craftsman at home, that I got from the thrift store for $45. The one tool I wish I had at home is a pair of bending forks. Long handled screw drivers are best, because short ones handles are in the way. A Havel's seam ripper is awesome for cutting thread tangles. I use tweezers alot. And an small, extendable magnet comes in handy. A good bendable light is very helpful for those of us with older eyes.