What do you find ironic?

Old 04-01-2014, 02:05 PM

Default What do you find ironic?

I've only been playing with sewing machines and quilting since last fall but so far there's a couple things I find ironic about vintage machines.
1) New Singer brand class 66 bobbins don't hardly fit vintage class 66 machines including my 1948 Singer model 66. I wonder what they really fit?
2) For a brief time White was selling Japanese made Singer 15 clones instead of machines of their own design. I wonder what the people at White were thinking at the time every time I see a White branded clone.
So what strikes you as funny or ironic about vintage machines?
Rodney
Old 04-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I think they're beautiful. And nothing is ever the same. Unless the part is actually from a machine made in the same exact factory, on the same line, same day the chances are the part will not be a perfect fit.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM

<<<I think it's ironic that I now have and use my Mom's machine. I did a little with it back in the late 70s, turning it by hand because there was a dead spot in the controller.
I wish she was still with us so she could see what I've done with it.

Joe
Old 04-01-2014, 03:33 PM

I find it ironic that my mom gave away her beloved Singer 66, because it was so old fashioned and I was no longer at home to use it and therefore, I didn't want it. She then replaced it with an old, thrift store Necchi (I wish I knew the model) and later, tried to give that to me too. Of course, I wouldn't take it. "Pffffttt! Who wants a Necchi?"

Now, as a collector, I would give my eye teeth for either of these machines today. I wish my mom was still here so we could share a good laugh about that story. Naturally, I would have to admit that she was right all along.

~ Cindy
Old 04-01-2014, 03:47 PM

Black Whites.

About 2 years ago I helped my parents clean out a house they were rehabbing. It was a horder house and full of everything imaginable. I know that I got rid of a Kenmore with a broken belt and a plastic modern White. My parents tell me there was a sewing machine on the back porch (I can't remember). I wish I knew what that was.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM

I found my grandmother's featherweight in my mom's attic when I was in college. I showed it to my dad who was going to get it cleaned and give it back to me. I never saw it again. Why didn't I just put it in my closet. I liked it because it was a miniature looking sewing machine, now I would love to have had her machine.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 PM

That my mom never taught me how to sew, but today I am using the machine she made my sister and I dresses on when we were little. Like others I wish she were here to share my joy of sewing, especially w/her machine. I have drug this machine around for the last 14 yrs (8 moves). My aunt said it was my grandmothers from the 50's, and only in the last few months have a ever actually used it! I was not purposely careless w/it but it has suffered at my hands...improper storage resulting in rust and messed up shellac. But w/the help of folks here and Rain's tut, she runs great and will be looking as good as can be expected in due time.

Jp

PS-the only memory I have of my mom using this machine is of her giving the hand wheel a spin...but it's and electric machine! I am not sure what was wrong w/it that she had to give it a "jump start" but that is what I remember her doing. Actually I think the belt must have been stretched out or something because it seems it would slip. Of course that memory is from 35 plus yrs ago!

Last edited by minibarn; 04-01-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: add a ps
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM

We're definitely getting away from irony here. Reminds me of two an a half men (that running gag still cracks me up. How ironic ).

It is ironic that Singer makes bobbins for its own machines and they don't fit. I doubt my local supplies shop would ever touch Singer made domestic parts. Very sad sign of the times, though. Cheap rubbish that doesn't work is the new normal these days (sigh).
Old 04-02-2014, 04:51 AM

What one probably wants to discuss - is serendipity.

ironic is more when someting turns out the opposite of what you expected.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:25 AM

We can add moments of serendipity.
I think my biggest moment of serendipity was just the discovery that I like playing with these old machines and I like sewing too. Woodworking and old woodworking machines is my other hobby. Due to some of the medications I've been on I get too cold in the winters to spend much time in my unheated shop and it's also painful for me to stand for long periods so this was a way to bring my hobbies indoors. Kind of hard to rebuild or run a table saw in the living room but I can get away with a sewing machine.
Rodney