Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What do you know about the 401A Singer card tables? >

What do you know about the 401A Singer card tables?

What do you know about the 401A Singer card tables?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 AM

I have a table like the one above, Candace's post. But mine is not nearly as pretty as hers, especially since it has been an everyday use for me this past year. I had myself set up in my sunroom to sew, using my FW on a set of piled up magazines and the extra space on the end beside for pins, scissors, etc., and the space on the left for my ironing space; so now the table has a BAD water spot on it where I hit the steam button too many times too close to the edge of the towel. it works for me, and water stains don't bother me--my kids can have it auctioned off for $5 someday.....It has had a good useful life with me.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:09 PM

CD I really like the school table. I like the extension off the back. It does look like a good one for quilting.
Rodney
Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 AM

The only thing I know about the 401A card table, is that after recently picking up a 401A, I want one.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:11 PM

I do know they are hard to find, so you probably have a good deal.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
The rarest is the one that fits a full size bentwood case bottom - but they don't have much market except to collectors.
This one? I did really well with it then, because it houses a Centennial machine and I paid somewhere around $80 for it, including some blackside attachments. I had to do a full service including wiring on the motor, and found a lot of scary things in the machine, but it's all clean now and FMQs like crazy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]454167[/ATTACH]

A little Howard's Feed'N'Wax might hide a lot of the damage and cup rings
Before:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]454168[/ATTACH]
After:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]454169[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_4117.jpg   img_4832.jpg   img_4835.jpg  
Old 01-01-2014, 02:06 AM

I think you got a good deal.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-01-2014, 04:55 AM

I was referring to the card table with a rectangular cutout that fits the bottom of a full size case. It looks a lot like the one for the FW but does not have any notches - however it does come with the cutout in two sizes, the other fits the 3/4 size case

Though you did do very well to get that cabinet for $80 as that is quite rare - did you get the special knee pedal to go with it? If you are saying that's a full size case in the cabinet, that would be very rare. I've not run into any literature saying Singer made that cabinet for a full size machine.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I was referring to the card table with a rectangular cutout that fits the bottom of a full size case. It looks a lot like the one for the FW but does not have any notches - however it does come with the cutout in two sizes, the other fits the 3/4 size case

Though you did do very well to get that cabinet for $80 as that is quite rare - did you get the special knee pedal to go with it? If you are saying that's a full size case in the cabinet, that would be very rare. I've not run into any literature saying Singer made that cabinet for a full size machine.
I didn't realise that there was a card table built like that. Wow, that's a lot of weight for a card table to hold!

This machine came with the foot pedal set up, so no knee lever for it. That table holds a 15-90, it's definitely for a full sized machine. It's the only one I've ever seen. When I went to see it, I thought I was going to look at a portable machine in a bentwood only. I thought the table matched by coincidence in the seller's photo.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 AM

I have the same i paid 25 dollars sew like a jewel very happy
Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Hmm, I've got one of those card tables out in the garage! It belonged to my MIL - not sure how we ended up with it, but we've used it for years just as an extra card table. I know the hole in it is too big for a FW, but haven't measured it. The top is in pretty bad shape after 2 generations of kids using it, and sitting out in the garage for 25 years. I'll have to pull it out and measure the opening - maybe one of you can tell me what it is.

Do they have some sort of model number on them anywhere?