Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What do you recommend for this? >

What do you recommend for this?

What do you recommend for this?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:45 PM

Default What do you recommend for this?

One of my cabinets has the little triangular drawer on the front for thread, etc. There is nothing keeping it from flopping all the way down and dumping whatever you put in it.

So what do you recommend as a means of keeping it under control?

I've thought about several posibilities, but not sure what would be best.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Maybe glue some velcro dots to each surface?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Start with taping a popsicle stick on the back of it so it will catch on the inside of the desk front. Once you find a good length and location you can add a permanent piece of wood.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 AM

One the Singer cabinets, there should be a little metal piece on one side to keep it from doing this, it may have gotten bent so it won't catch the side of the cabinet, or it is broken or missing. You could screw something similar on to keep it in place. BTW - this is also what keeps the door closed, unless it got flattened out.

These pictures might help give you some ideas - keep in mind that what ever you do needs to be removable if you ever need to get at the hinges of the drawer.

I'm repairing the hinges on this drawer - you have to remove this piece to get at the hinges to take the drawer out of the cabinet so if it's not there, someone probably forgot to put it back on after putting the drawer back in.

If you got this recently, look with any attachments and see if this part isn't included. I've found a lot of "missing" parts in cabinet drawers when buying old machines. Got lots of other interesting stuff too . . .
Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM

Macybaby....thanks so much for posting these pictures...I showed them to hubby and said "I need this fix for my 99 cabinet"...after the visual..he went and fashioned a replica ...I found the screw still in the drawer (with the part broken off) and walah...we had it fixed. I was going to put a ribbon on it attached to two screws but never got to it. Now it is fixed in a proper way. Love this board!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM

This is a machine and cabinet I've had for probably 10 years or so. Anything that was originally with it has long since been put who knows where.

It was initially also missing the bobbin cover which my DS tried "fixing" with a piece of plastic cut from a cd case. Sort of worked but after I found the wonderful info on this board I ordered a proper replacement from Sew Classic.

Anyway I was wondering about using a piece of leather lace or a short length of chain like is used for hanging stained glass as a means of "anchoring" the drawer.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:34 PM

This forum is the best on the net! No matter what the question, someone always knows the answer.