Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What model Singer might this be?

What model Singer might this be?

I'm waiting delivery of the 15-99 I purchased and am beginning to look at either a cabinet or the hardware to put it into a table I have. I found this on Craigslist. I really like the cabinet and that is reason I would purchase it, but also wonder what model the machine is? A 66 perhaps?

Name:  Craiglist sewing machine.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  26.6 KB
    Name:  Craiglist sewing machine cabinet.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  23.0 KB

Belfrybat,

From the size of the motor compared to the pillar and the length of the bed, I'd say that was a 99. The 99 is a 3/4 size machine so your 15-91 won't fit into the cabinet.
    That's too bad cos I do like that cabinet too.

Joe

A 3/4 sized cabinet!! That's not easy to find. I'd probably make room.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

That is a 66 machine. If you look to the tight of the machine bed you can see where the cabinet cut-out continues. If the machine you are getting is a full size machine it will fit right in that cabinet/desk. Those desks are wonderful if you get it for a good price. They are solid wood. They were introduced in the early 60's to be sold with the 400 and 500 series machines. The black machines are a smidge shorter in the bed so you will have a gap like the one shown in the pictures. The hinge pins will line up okay. Are you getting a class 15 machine with the verticle bobbin or are you getting a 99 that uses a drop in bobbin? There is no 15-99 machine
    Last edited by Mitch's mom; 11-22-2012 at 01:53 PM.

I agree with Joe, it looks like a 99. The gap to the right of the machine in the cabinet makes me think that it doesn't fit properly so the cabinet is probably for a full sized machine and the 15 will fit fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    That is a 66 machine. If you look to the tight of the machine bed you can see where the cabinet cut-out continues. If the machine you are getting is a full size machine it will fit right in that cabinet/desk. Those desks are wonderful if you get it for a good price. They are solid wood. They were introduced in the early 60's to be sold with the 400 and 500 series machines. The black machines are a smidge shorter in the bed so you will have a gap like the one shown in the pictures. The hinge pins will line up okay. Are you getting a class 15 machine with the verticle bobbin or are you getting a 99 that uses a drop in bobbin? There is no 15-99 machine
    I mistyped -- the machine I am getting is a 15-91 with the vertical bobbin. The advertised price for the above machine and cabinet is $75.00, which seems like a decent price if the cabinet is in good condition. I really am only interested in the cabinet, although if I get it, I'll probably keep the machine if it runs.
    Last edited by Belfrybat; 11-22-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Contact the seller and get the serial number. The model can be positively determined that way.

It's a 99 ..... ..... a little birdy told me ....

Joe

If the machine in this cabinet is a 3/4 you can not put a full size machine in it. The spacing of the hinge pin on the full size machines is different than on the 3/4 size. The are not interchangeable.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    I really like that cabinet. Machine looks like a 3/4 size. should entirely fill the hole if it is meant for a big machine. don't think your pins will line up right for a big one.

I would get it for the cabinet alone. If the machine fits, fine if not, your other one will. Either way it's a great cabinet desk!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast