Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What should I do ? (Singer 28K)

What should I do ? (Singer 28K)

Hello,

I bought this 28K because it came with a hand crank, totally rusted but usable. She was totally frozen, I must say that she was outside under the remains of her bentwood case since years. The price was low (5, 5.5$), and after some discussions I could bring this piece of rust for 3. According to Ismacs she is from 1909.

I own another 28K in good condition, so I ask you an advice about doing something of this machine. I oiled and clean the mechanism and now all move freely. The only missing parts are the tension assembly and the front plate, but I have some modern in my toolbox, and find a vintage one is not too expensive.

So, there is some options :
    - keep it as is with varnish on rust.
    - sand it and repaint, in blue, or in green with pink dots.
    - use it as a door stopper or anchor.
    - trash it.

I am open to all advices.

Many Thanks
    Philippe
    Name:  DSCF3946s.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  233.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Steampunk is in style.
    Name:  Singer refurb 003.JPG
Views: 603
Size:  130.2 KB
    This machine was gross. I scraped all the rust and garbage off but the base looked bad - see pic. I put shellac on it and it evened out - felt smooth - sewed smooth. I put it in a wooden frame. My husband put some dots of velcro on the frame and some on a sheet of thick plastic. You can watch it make stitches. We put a steering wheel spinner knob on it. I took 10 machines camping with me. That one sold first.

Since it works, put a tension on it - you can get by with a spring, two disks and a nut. Put a little shellac on the base, then put plastic down and watch it sew.
    Last edited by miriam; 07-28-2015 at 02:50 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Find me at Victorian sweatshop discussion group

Nice save.
    Option one or two are both good. I think it looks pretty good as is. On the other hand your machine isn't exactly rare. No one would feel put out by someone repainting a machine in that condition. If you want a custom painted machine that one is a good candidate.
    You got a bargain in my opinion. The hand crank alone goes for much more here.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

I have ony just like yours and I like it the way it is. I use it for decoration. It does have a shuttle bobbin, a needle in it and does crank freely. I am missing a front cover like yours. Keep it just like it is.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  1.19 MB
    😊 wilburness 😊

My 28 was missing the front slide plate and I got it from Sew-Classic.com. Some of the newer ones may be longer, but can be ground down according to a well-respected, local SMM. I like the repaint ideal with new decals from Ebay on "Singer decals" They come in different colors too. If money is the most important, then leave it as-is, except do get the plate.

If you are ever forced, by circumstance to grind down a plate, be sure to grind the back, the part you can't see. Thank you for saving another machine.

Many thanks to all for your replies. I think I will sand and repaint it. Rust is very deep and I found some under paint. I already buy some new plates from sew classic, they were not too long but a little bit too large and after a little grinding they fit perfectly. The plastic one is also a good idea, I must find some acrylic glass but the one I could find locally is a little bit thinner.
    I will post photos of this restoration here, but first I must finish a 48K.

Blog Entries
    The plastic I used was some I was supposed to throw away at work. I had more than enough for my work so I took the rest home. It is the clear stuff I put between magazines. Nice and heavy but not bulky.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Find me at Victorian sweatshop discussion group

Paint it and refresh the whole thing and get the parts, it is a treasure, antiques can not be replaced. Save the machine to pass down too or sale, just don't trash it please!!!!!!

I began to work on this machine two weeks ago during my holidays, now I am back to work and it may be more difficult to find time ...

Here are some pictures.
    First removing many of the moving parts :
    Name:  DSCF3951sc.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  419.1 KB

Then move it to the garage, the driver is my son
    Name:  DSCF3957sc.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  1.36 MB

Then polish visible, and sometimes hidden parts, I use a nylon brush on my drill, then polish with paste on fabric discs and "mirror" to finish, I think that for you it's something like Brasso. On the large plates I will make more polishing to try to remove the black spots, in facts they are less visible that on the photo.
    Name:  DSCF4007sc.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  1.18 MB

Last Saturday, I strip the paint on the body with an horrible chemical thing, but the result is pretty good :
    Name:  DSCF4002sc.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  452.5 KB

So now I will continue to sand it to remove all rust spots and begin to paint with a first coat of paint.
    I will put some pictures as soon as possible.

Have a nice day from Brittany

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast