Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What should I look for in a FW? >

What should I look for in a FW?

What should I look for in a FW?

Old 09-21-2013, 02:03 PM

Default What should I look for in a FW?

Since I am on a mission to find a FW, and also since I don't know that much about them, what should I look for and what should I avoid?

Is there someplace that describes the different models and features?

Any help is appreciated.

Renate
Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 AM

Condition is the main thing. There are different colors, and are all basically the same model with the same features. Black is the most common, white/celery is less common, and tan is fairly rare. The black and tan machines are identical mechanically, while the white has some differences. The white machine has an internal belt in lieu of two gears, and the foot controller is hard-wired to the machine (something I find slightly annoying but it's not a big deal). On the white machine, some motors have grease tubes and some don't. The badge is a foil sticker, the face plate is painted metal, not chrome, and there are no gold decals. Also the extension bed is shorter and made of steel. On the white ones, some controllers are the button type but most are clamshell, which I actually prefer. For me it would be a matter of what I find at a decent price, and how much work I were willing to put into it.

Oh wait, there IS another model of FW -- the 222. It has a free arm and I *think* the feed dogs are drop-able. If you find one at a good price grab it.

Here is a good page that explains more variations.
http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/featherweight/fhome/

Familiarize yourself with the design of the cases, and then if you see a case at a shop/market you'll know to look for a FW inside. If there's no machine and the case is in good condition and a good price buy it because you might end up finding a machine with no case. And they're valuable in their own right. The white FW has a green case with white trim, or a (very rare) blue case.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:30 AM

Make sure there is no rust on the machine.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 AM

I now have 4 FWs..... bought my 1st one because I just had to have one. The 2nd one was found at an estate sale in a FW cabinet. I HAD to have that cabinet and the machine came with it. The 3rd one I got on craigslist and the last one I got at an estate/garage sale. You just have to be on the lookout and willing to drop everything and go get it.

What to look for? Be sure the bobbin case in included because those are costly to replace. I usually turn the handwheel and see if everything is moving if I can't actually hook it up to electricity and try it out. Trying it out is better, naturally. Visual condition is another thing to look for..... decals being worn just means that the machine was used a lot. But perfect decals will bring a better price. You don't want rust.... that usually means that it wasn't oiled and look to see if there is any white powdery stuff. I've never seen any on the machines I've bought but I've heard that it is oxidized aluminum and that's not good.

There are still FWs out there.... keep looking. I bought 3 last year but haven't found any this year and don't know why. I'll buy another one if it is a decent price and in good condition..... but I really don't need another one. It seems to me that the prices have come down a little but I still consider them an investment. They aren't making any more.... at least not a this point. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 AM

What great advice, you all are the best! I appreciate all the responses and will double my efforts to find MY machine.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:20 AM

Too bad I'm not looking for a treadle machine; there's one on CL that looks good, in the cabinet for $65.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM

I found my FW at an Antique shop in my small town. I was really excited when I did. He was asking $345 and I offered him $250. I was really surprised he said yes if I had cash. I jump on it. So don't be afraid to ask a lower price.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:46 PM

Tippysmom, there was a thread a while ago about FW worths, etc. Click here to see it:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t224691-2.html

I chimed in my $.01 worth on that thread. I realize that my opinion is not a popular one, for many people like to buy a FW once they have their heart set on it, period, and not explore the possibility of walking away from it. However, some people have told me that my pointers were helpful. If you care to read that thread, I hope it helps you. If not, no problem! I think also that others here have said very helpful things.

Best of luck to you in your quest. :-)

-Cecilia.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:55 AM

There is also a FW Yahoo Group that you might be interested in joining.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 AM

Do check out antique shops, flea markets and such. My first was found at a flea market, and the second was inherited when my MIL died.