Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What veneer to use on an older Singer cabinet? >

What veneer to use on an older Singer cabinet?

What veneer to use on an older Singer cabinet?

Old 05-21-2015, 10:21 AM

Default What veneer to use on an older Singer cabinet?

Ok I started working on the cabinet I am going to put my Daughters 128 in. I originally housed a 99. I have no idea the history or the age of this thing and I need to replace SOME of the veneer ( Veneers are HORRIDLY expensive in Alaska otherwise I would do the whole thing )

SO here are some pictures can we make a guess as to what wood might approximate a color match ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520287[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520288[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]520289[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails imag1696.jpg   imag1697.jpg   imag1698.jpg  

Last edited by greywuuf; 05-21-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 AM

Rodney had some posts on here about two months ago. I was amazed at what he could scavenge from an old piece of plywood to repair the veneer on a sewing machine cabinet, and how well it turned out. Do a search on here using the words "repair veneer".
Old 05-21-2015, 03:37 PM

My boyfriend likes to remind me that he has removed old veneer from those big tv cabinets. You might keep an eye out for furniture that has good veneer you could use for this project.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:48 PM

Colorwise you probably need to go with a 'cherry'. It does not look 'oak' to me and I think mahogany would be too dark if only replacing sections/pieces. Cherry has a more brownish red cast to it than the 'reddish' tone of mahogany. Just what appears on my screen.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:52 PM

Thank you ! thats what I am looking for . I do not know if Singer ever used cherry though... was kind of hoping to find out what it is ... I could always stain a little to more closely match . I intend to do the entire side ( and back , not shown) not really going to try patching I don't think .
Old 05-22-2015, 03:23 AM

Here's my experience with veneer. redid my sewing cabinet on the back only. Bought some veneer sheets as close to the color as possible. When I tried to stain it, it bled thru, so next I got a rag dip into stain wipe on a board and then barely swipe the veneer, let it dry and did it again until I got close to the color. Turned out pretty good, but I was glad it was on the back next to the wall. LOL Good luck and take your time.