Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
what's the official name for that doohickey? >

what's the official name for that doohickey?

what's the official name for that doohickey?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 AM

Default what's the official name for that doohickey?

Hey, all- I picked up a nice (but dirty) Necchi 534fb. The pressure foot pressure adjustment knob is broken; when you push the button in the middle down, it pops right back up. I'd like to get a new one, but apparently 'pressure foot pressure adjustment knob' isn't what you really call it. What is it actually called, and does anyone know where I can get one? I would assume they're not OEM anymore, although I'm frequently surprised by what's still available new.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 AM

I've always just called it a presser foot pressure adjustment knob....try just sewing machine pressure adjustment if you're searching ebay.

On most of my machines, you push the button to increase pressure & push the outer ring to decrease pressure. And the whole mechanism is screwed on. Are you sure it's screwed on completely? If so, have you unscrewed it & looked down the hole to make sure the spring is still down there....& is not broken.

Last edited by path49; 04-24-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 AM

According to my owner's manual for my Kenmore it's called a pressure regulator. That doesn't necessarily mean that's what it's called on your machine, but it may give you a place to start. Good luck on your parts hunt!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
I've always just called it a presser foot pressure adjustment knob....try just sewing machine pressure adjustment if you're searching ebay.
That's what I've always called it too, but Google, not so much!

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
Are you sure it's screwed on completely? If so, have you unscrewed it & looked down the hole to make sure the spring is still down there....& is not broken.
Yup. It's clearly broken-when I tried to unscrew it, the whole outer collar just lifted off. It behaves as though there's a piece missing that keeps the pop-up button locked down when you've pushed on it. All other pieces (spring, etc) and present and functioning.

Originally Posted by laceyj View Post
According to my owner's manual for my Kenmore it's called a pressure regulator. That doesn't necessarily mean that's what it's called on your machine, but it may give you a place to start. Good luck on your parts hunt!
Well, that's one more thing to call it-thanks! I'll add that to the search string and see what I can find.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
...pressure foot pressure adjustment knob... What is it actually called....
Back in 1951 you could get an after-market one to put on the old machines that hadn’t came out of Japan with them already attached. The Revco one was called the “Revco Patch-O-Matic Darner”, and the dealer price ranged from $.90 to $1.30 each. They were made to fit Singer (66, 27, 15, 99, 9W7, 115, 101, 201, 31-15, 95-10, 96-10), White (Rotary, Long Shuttle), National (Rotary, Long Shuttle), New Home (NS Rotary, OS Small Bar), W&W (9), Portman, Japanese (99 Class), Necchi (BF7), Free (Long Shuttle), Standard (large or small bar), Davis (under feed), and Pfaff.

Although, I doubt that you’ll get much of a return on Goggle with that name.....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-25-2015, 03:55 AM

Just for fun, I googled Necchi pressure adjustment knob and found this little gem http://freenecchisewingmachinefiles...._nova-mira.pdf. Check out the diagram on page 46.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:19 AM

19cats. thank you for the website.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
19cats. thank you for the website.
You're most welcome.