Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Who knows about light industrial servo motors? >

Who knows about light industrial servo motors?

Who knows about light industrial servo motors?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 AM

I'd go ahead with your plan to replace them. Modern capacitors tend to be smaller than their old-school counterparts so don't let the size throw you. I'm not that familiar with capacitors. Could they be wired in parallel instead?
I'm only somewhat familiar with single speed AC motors used in woodworking machines. I can take one apart and replace the bearings, maybe do some light trouble shooting but I'm far from an expert.
I'm guessing servo motors are either universal motors or DC motors with inverters attached?
Rodney
Old 04-23-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I'd go ahead with your plan to replace them. Modern capacitors tend to be smaller than their old-school counterparts so don't let the size throw you. I'm not that familiar with capacitors. Could they be wired in parallel instead?
Hi Rodney,
I was corrected on calling it a servo motor: Apparently it's really a universal motor (big version of ordinary domestics that attach to machines) - I now know the labels but will probably forget them again unless it becomes important. Replacement is a lot more difficult than removal also, the guy who suggested doing this said the capacitors were never very good at radio suppression anyway, and it was am radio, which I don't listen to when sewing.
If it's of little benefit and another three parts to go wrong, I go for simplification

Capacitors work opposite to resistors when connecting in series and parallel: Wire them in parallel and you add the capacitance. In series, the capacitance is reduced.