Yea I won!!!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 AM

Default Yea I won!!!

Ok, not a machine but I'm very excited to be adding this to my collection. Not the box, but that funny looking larger object to the right (and the plates to go with it). Gonna need some serious TLC.

Thanks to SteveH for sharing pictures, or I would not have recognized this item.

BTW - this is why I will have 5 puzzle boxes when I only wanted two. It's some of the "non standard" items that might be found inside that I'm after.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 AM

What is it?? I see the fork so I can tell the front is on the right but what does it do?

I keep watching auctions for puzzle boxes trying to find a cheap one with a bobbin holder for round bobbins, instead of one for long bobbins like yours. I have a puzzle box that has no bobbin holder in it, and I want to have it with my IF treadle. The round bobbin holder looks like a wire folded in half, then bent at at right angle, with a screw holding it in the center. I think they only made a few for the later Improved Family models, all of the other models with puzzle boxes were for shuttle machines. I'd also like to get the couple of pieces I'm missing but not willing to buy 3 different ones to get them. They all seem to be missing something. Very few have the screwdrivers. I almost had the screwdriver I'm missing from a QB member but the envelope came open in the mail and lost it.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Thanks to SteveH for sharing pictures, or I would not have recognized this item.

BTW - this is why I will have 5 puzzle boxes when I only wanted two. It's some of the "non standard" items that might be found inside that I'm after.
You are welcome, and if you EVER decide to sell that Buttonholer and slide plate, PLEASE give me first shot.

Steve
Old 08-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Skyangel - it's a very early buttonholer. SteveH had posted pictures of his, and I remembered seeing this one on Ebay and wondering what it was.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t228034.html

I was the only bidder so I figure no one else realized what it was, or maybe no one was in the market that day. Seller had no clue - just listed it as Puzzle box with attachments. I paid $36 including shipping.

More often someone else knows what they are looking at. Recently there was a mixed lot that contained a single thread embroidery attachment - the lot when for over $100. Then before that was a lot that had the stripper part for a fagoter set, and that also went for $100. In both cases, the rest of the items were worth maybe $20 for all of them together. And for both, the seller had no clue that in their pile of run-of-the-mill attachments, they had one very rare item.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Banned

BTW - there is a difference on this one form mine. Mine has the "even curved plate for the rectangular bed, Yours is the Fiddlebase version.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM

darn - I suppose that means I'll need to get a fiddle base machine to use it on LOL!!

I did see another puzzle box with just the plate, but the two pieces were no longer attached together.

Does this plate have any other function than to cover the feed dogs?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned

not that I am aware of.

I happen to know someone who has a fiddlebase VS2 (painted roses) that I was going to buy before I figured out that I need to use the rectangular base.... PM for details

Steve
Old 08-23-2013, 07:54 AM

Red face

I found one of the boxes in my Dad's barn after he died.

Mine has a dark blue lining.

I have no idea where he got it.

The wood is beautiful.

I am working on other parts for it.

Did not know what it was for a while.

Now have some of the parts to go in it.