Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yipes!!! Were they going for more power?

Yipes!!! Were they going for more power?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-10266508.html

Very interesting?

Joe, what do you think of this one? LOLOLOL
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up!

Glenda,

That is the same kind of motor I rewired for jljack. It's big, but not much more powerful than a standard sewing machine motor.
    The motor uses a pivoting bracket attached to the motor boss. Because it's so big it sticks way out in the way so when you store the machine you just pivot the motor under the arch. Works slick.

Joe

the one I brought home yesterday is a 128 s/n G 7614214 1919 , but has the singer motor, so that must be a replacment or add on motor...

but I have a real probem buying from goodwill,, they have become a maga investment company rather than helping others..

the motor pivots ? now I know why I see those motor laying on the bed.. this one, the motor back side is flat, plus the back plate on this is black with the light mount as a part of the plate...
    Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 06-28-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    I would imagine that this machine was originally a handcrank, or the motor has been replaced with a standard aftermarket motor.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Looks like an old Hamilton Beach motor. What I've seen about them is pretty neat. They were advertised as an all purpose motor to run different appliances around the house, not just sewing machines, but fans, mixers, so on.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

The one I worked on for jljack was a Western Electric. I've seen them with New Home name plates on them too.
    I suspect there was one company, Western Electric making them and selling them to any body and every body.

Joe

I have one like it. It was mfg in 1918 and likely electrified after that. There is a note that came with the machine and reads " Portable Singer Sewing Machine - Bullet Bobbin. Wally paid $12.00 for it in 1920. Our first Christmas in Sacramento. I sewed presents for Maude & Donna (dolls & dresses).
    Sweet Caroline

We have a Domestic made maybe in the 60s that has hand written notes from it's original owner. They will be kept with the machine. They are part of it's history.

I like those big honkin motors. Don't know why, but I do.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    We have a Domestic made maybe in the 60s that has hand written notes from it's original owner. They will be kept with the machine. They are part of it's history.

I like those big honkin motors. Don't know why, but I do.

Joe
    I like them also Joe. I think because they look rather Art Deco. Even the motors were attractive back then.
    Sweet Caroline

Yes they were, and some of those big motors were chrome plated. You can polish them till they shine.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast