Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long arm question/advice >

long arm question/advice

long arm question/advice

Old 05-18-2024, 12:21 PM

I started out with my longarm by standing up at my project Linus and said "I bought a longarm and need to learn." My door was flooded by 3 members who had many many unquilted tops, big hearts and a willingness to let me go to town. I do not have any robotics or automation - 100% hand guided. I have definitely lost business because I don't have pantographs. But I'm not in this for income - just fun funds.

I charge 3 cents per inch. It's still mostly word of mouth although I am going to put a small ad in the next quilt show program.

I agree with the suggestion that you have an order form. I don't think your husband should be running around town - have them come to you and you can measure quilt together and they can choose thread color. You might want to draft a hold harmless statement on the order form\ contact to cover some.of the potential problems discussed by others here.

Be willing to turn down business if something is hinky. I just finished a client project that has 12 holes -spots where she missed the seam allowance. The backing was too short and her batting was pieced with some kind of glue that left hard spots. Many curse words were uttered.

Shortly after a quilt in pieces came across my threshold. Client wanted it finished and then quilted. It had been sitting in the UFO pile for 10 years but now she wanted me to do the work? I declined.

Also be honest about how much work you can do and timelines. Another potential client reached out but they needed it done " in the next 2 weeks". At that point I had 2 others in front of hers and I don't think it's right to let somebody jump the line. She went to another quilter. Another asked about service but it was right before I went of vacation. I told her I would be happy to do "intake" but wouldn't be able to quilt until next month. She was fine.

Decide how much you are going to charge for extra services - particularly piecing backing. I charge $10 for 1 seam, 15 for 2. I don't charge for trimming. I don't charge separate "per bobbin" thread . I don't offer binding.

I realize it looks like nothing but horror stories but not the case! I like both my day job and weekend work. Just know some of the pitfalls - which is what you asked for.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

Would it be okay to look at a top and say - This is not something I want to do. It is way out of whack and I am not in the mood to try to perform magic - ?
Old 05-18-2024, 03:42 PM

A friend did the APQS Longarm Certification Training a couple of years ago. She'd been doing her own for probably close to 10 years, but decided she was going to do quilting for others as a business. It gave her a lot of knowledge about quilting as a business and working with customers, as well as the actual mechanics of quilting. The cost is $500, and there is a lot of "homework". Some of it must be sent to APQS, some is submitted via photos.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:44 AM

I love to finish quilts on the longarm, but quilting for others is stressful. One of the best longarmers I know said "it just sucks the joy out of it!" I have a very basic set-up, no robotics and quilt a lot of vintage tops that someone finds somewhere and I do a lot of community outreach quilts. Once in a while someone will insist on paying me and I usually say "Oh, get me some thread (or batting, or 90" muslin) " Pity about the vintage tops: once quilted, I don't know what people do with them maybe back to the closet/basement/or attic where they were found.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:58 AM

I've had a long arm for maybe 20 years? Don't really remember...anyway - I never wanted to quilt for others. It would make it be more like work than fun so I always resisted. Then after a few years I was asked again by a friend and I told her I would quilt her quilt...but it was on her. Meaning...if I messed it up or put a hole in it I wasn't responsible. Guess what...no holes and they turned out just fine. It sounds like you're used to quilting - and doing it very well - but this might be a way to ease into it. Do some charity quilts....quilts you haven't personally pieced and see how it goes. Of course, there are some nightmares out there, but if you carefully look over the quilt tops and backings as you take them in you can probably avoid a lot of issues. Make sure you have an "intake sheet" with all the pertinent information on it so there aren't problems in the end.
Good luck...do what makes you happy. And if you decide you don't want to do it you can stop at any time...you decide on you.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:46 AM

I feel that quilting is my hobby. If I turned it into a business, I don't have that hobby anymore. I agree with the statement that just because I am good at something does not mean it needs to become a business.
I cook better than most places we've eaten at, but I don't want to run a restaurant!
Enjoy what you are good at without making it stressful.
Now, an occasional inflow of spending money is great. When I make an occasional sale, I put the money in savings.
I did turn my stained glass hobby into a business in the 80s! A kitchen remodeling firm wanted wall cabinet inserts. Even simple designs were super stressful. Now, I make for myself and never run out of ideas to make!
Good luck with your future!
Old 05-19-2024, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

You've been given a lot of information, and it's all valid for the people who wrote it. I'm another who has had a longarm for about 15 years, do all my own quilting, have quilted a few tops for close friends, and a few more for charity. I don't choose to do this as a business, but I'm not looking for the extra income (though more money is always nice, LOL). It sounds like you are already using your longarm as a business, in that you make and sell quilts, so why not start longarming for others?As you said, you already have the equipment, including the robotics, and you have the skill. You may need to learn a few new things, such as how to deal with a top that has problems, but there are videos online that can help with that. As a longarmer you can set your own rules as far as what you require from your customers, and what you will do with their tops. In all the years I've been quilting, I've never ruined a top by quilting it. No holes, no spills, nothing that couldn't be remedied. If you do it, you should definitely treat longarming as a business, getting the appropriate insurance, licenses if required by your state, etc. and you should prepare an intake form. (Again, there are samples of what you would need online.) If after doing it for a while you find that you don't want to continue, you can always quit and revert to using your longarm only for your own projects.
Old 05-19-2024, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

You asked for longarmers and people who send out to longarmers- the latter is me.
I have one in Kansas I've used for at least 5 years. It's her business and she loves doing it. She does beautiful work and I frequently just tell her to use what she thinks will look good. I've never been disappointed. She will always accommodate what I'm wanting if I have a specific detail. She has a ton of clients but I never have to wait too long.
I have no desire for a longarm so this works well for me.
Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 05-19-2024, 10:34 AM

I would also consider if you could really make money for the amount of time invested. I have lots of people tell me I could sell things I make. My usual reply is "Would you spend $300 for that bag?" The answer is normally "No". With the amount of time and energy I spend on things, I don't find the market will really support selling my hand made items.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:01 PM

I quilt for myself and charity quilts. Quilting for others would feel like work, and I'm done with working!