Old 04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by Andii
I am really enjoying this spot...could I have a rocker instead of a stool?

Lots of questions. First one may sound kind of silly but here goes-what is a treadle? Is it a machine with the wheel exposed?

What is a badged machine?

And last one(for now :? )Billy, why do you say you like machines that are non-Singers?

I'll be back with coffee and a blanket :thumbup:
Andii
One Rocker coming up!!! Come to think about it I think I might get one for me too. :wink:

First question: what is a treadle?

A treadle is the power source for operating the sewing machine. It is a foot powered table as such with the cabinet and the machine sitting on top of that. The foot pedal is attached to a pitman arm that connects to a band wheel. The bandwheel has a belt that goes from there to the machine. when the foot pedal moves so does the machine!!

A badged machine is a machine that is made by a company that makes a sewing machine and puts the buyers name on it like Kenmore, Morse, Universal, and the list goes on.

Now for the last one........I like the non-Singers because they are not that mainstream and there were literally hundreds of sewing machine makers during the "Sewing Machine Wars" (1870's to 1920's) and there were a lot of innovations during that time.

The Eldredge/National 2 spool comes to mind first, they didn't have a bobbin they just used another spool of thread. Then the different shapes and names......

Billy