Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Ladybugnana

"quote=Ladybugnana]Ok, you got me curious. I have had this out on my front porch (ok I know I was bad). I bought it at a yard sale for $50. It's a Free machine. The numbers I could find were 880883. The top says "The Free Sewing Machine Co. Chicago" Anybody have any ideas? I have never heard of them before"

"Me likey!!!!!!

Surprisingly enough the decals on the arm and upright look to be in really good condition. It will clean up nicely if you take your time and do it right. And you will have an Heirloom to pass down for generations.

The Free Sewing Machine Company was located in Rockford, IL and was in an area known for cabinet makers. Your sewing machine is an early model and was probably made before 1910. These machines were known for (or advertised) as the smoothest running Vibrating Shuttle machine out at the time. According to information I read on the NeedleBar the machine had a "Rotoscillo movement" which was a lot smoother that the swinging motion of the the vibrating shuttle.

All in all this is a very nice example of a very early version of a machine made during the Sewing Machine Wars. And this is the reason I like the Non-Singers so much!!

I would clean it up being very careful of the remaining decals and repair what needs to be repaired on the cabinet and preserve the machine. Not many of these left......

Billy"
Wow, thank you. I would never have guessed. As I was looking through the three drawers on the cabinet, I found the accessory box with all the extra feet in it. I promise I will take better care of her now. Now I need to come up with a name...hmmm