Old 04-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
This thread has re-piqued my interest in antique sewing machines. I've been scouring CL for a good deal on a Singer 221 FW. If I can't find this one as my top choice, what would you reccommend as #2, #3, etc. on the list. I kinda have my heart set on the 221 FW tho, but I don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars on one either. I know everyone will have their favorites, so it will be interesting to see how you would rank them. I know Billy will have treadles at the top of his list, lol.
Oh how did you know that LOL!!!

Well actually this is a realistic list that can either be powered by treadle or not.

#2 Singer Model 66 preferably a later one with the back tack but they all are great machines.

#3 Singer 301 same features of a FW but a full sized machine and it is still portable or you can have it in a cabinet.

#4 Singer or Japanese 15 this one is a hard to beat machine and the Japanese versions are still very affordable. You can drop the feed dogs and FMQ on them and they have the back tack feature.

All of these machines use the 15x1 needles which are readily available and the bobbins and any other parts are still easily obtained at your local sewing machine repair shop or Singer dealer.

Billy