Old 04-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sarahelloyd
What a terrific site lacelady, do you ever get problems with Customs, or are things easier in Ireland? My local store in very small and each time I go in I get this woman whose answer to anything is 'Don't ask me, I'm not a quilter' Duh!! It drives me nuts. So, I am thinking about a sort of biscuit colour but don't know yet.
When I first started getting in stuff not just for myself, but also for my quilt group, I got everything from Hancocks of Paducah. I contacted our Customs dept. who told me that all imported fabric into Ireland was subject to duty. But in reality, we don't get charged all the time. Certainly the smaller parcels come through without any being added, and we get charged on about two thirds of the larger ones. But here, it's only about 10%, and it still works out cheaper than our LQS. (She does seem to be a tad greedy). My cornerstone batik is a biscuity kind of colour! My background is Kona cotton natural, which looks like muslin (calico) but handles like a regular quilt cotton. I'll probably get that for the background, as they do it in a 108in width.