Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 PM
BKrenning

Try breaking down a block design into smaller pieces--2" of an 8" block. Continuous Curves is a method to try, also. I have a 9" machine on a frame so I was limited to about 6" of quilting space at the beginning of a quilt--much less at the end unless it was turned. You can also stop, needle down, advance the quilt, the quilt some more. It's a PIA to do it that way but some designs just have to be done like that.

I did hearts, loops, stars and threw some into my meanders. When I got bored with that, I bought Max Throat which is an automatic fabric advancing system that isn't made anymore but there are quite a few still around and the company still supports them. My 9" machine can do 12" blocks easily and 16" if I really, really measure and Max is in a good mood. It is tempermental some days but works well for me when I have it adjusted correctly.

I'm anxiously waiting for my new Voyager 17 to arrive now. We plan to get it all setup this weekend and if it performs as expected, I will have a B-Line Studio frame with free motion Max Throat to sell.