View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 06:29 AM
QBeth

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
I've had several ladies at work ask me about teaching a beginning quilting class. As I had never taken one (I've been sewing since I was pre-teen and quilting for the last 10 years), I took a beginning class at my LQS, just to see how it's done. Since we will have our classes during lunch, which doesn't give us enough time to set up machines, etc., I'm going to bring one of my machines to demonstrate on, then let the ladies do "homework" and bring it in at the next class. If they have any questions, I'll leave my machine here and can give them help during the week. The goal will be for each person to create a quilt by the end of the classes, while learning to sew a good 1/4" seam, strip piecing, chain piecing, sashings, borders,layering and quilting. Have I bitten off more than I can chew?
If you've bitten off more than you can chew, I'm in BIG trouble because that's basically the path I'm leading them down. Good luck to both of us. I posted my lessons 1 & 2 in my original message; if I create more, would you be interested in them? I'd be interested in anything you create!! We don't have to follow the same agenda but one of us might include something "important" that the other didn't think of.

How bad can we do? They'll learn something, if just not to be afraid of taking a class somewhere.

We laughed so hard Tuesday night, that made it more than worthwhile!! It also helped that we met after work so no real time crunch such as lunch time. Being a bit older, and a long time sewer, I have an extra machine that I can leave in work plus, at the recent Joann's sale, I duplicated enough basic tools that I don't have to lug anything back & forth. That's a big help.