View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 04:01 PM
MCH

Oh, dear...when I broke my wrist 2 years ago, folks at the office would try to be encouraging with, "Well, at least it wasn't you're right wrist. You can still type." "I'm left-handed." They were bewildered for a bit, then were even more sympathetic.

I broke my wrist (3 of the 8 bones in the wrist) when I tripped on a step at home, trying to get to the phone before it stopped ringing. Reminder to self: we have caller ID and an answering machine.

I tripped on the step from the living room to the dining room and landed full force / face down on ceramic tile. Did I mention it happened in the Friday afternoon at the beginning of the Memorial Day week-end?

I tripped because I caught the lip of the orthopedic boot I was wearing on my left foot. You see, about 10 days previously, I had broken a bone in my foot.

Short version of this is that I was in such pain from my wrist injury and it had swollen to the size of a grapefruit that my DH called the paramedics to transport me to the hospital. The dr. in the emergency room put a splint on my wrist and sent me home...with my boot on my foot.

I spent the week-end with my splinted writs and arm on a pillow. I slept in my big chair in the family room.

By Tuesday, I was at the orthopedic surgeon's office...and at age 59 I got my first cast. Oh, dear...I was a basket case...and my DH was so upset that he couldn't do anything to help me.

The day-to-day "stuff" was a real challenge for about 10 days until the dr. gave me the removeable cast. That helped so much.

Ultimately, about 6 weeks later, the dr. took away the removeable cast and released me to physical therapy. That went for several weeks.

It took almost a year for me to regain the strength and flexibility in my wrist...and I couldn't sew for several months. All is fine now, but sometimes my wrist "pops" and it's sensitive to cold...but God took good care of me...and like you note, I think He was telling me to take it easy for awhile.

Take good care and be sure you go to physical therapy as soon as and for as long as the doctor authorizes it. Then, you'll be sure to have a great recovery.

I'm on my way to a San Jose, CA Sharks hockey game, now. GO SHARKS! :lol: