Old 04-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by ginnie6
I tried a 15x1 needle and it worked perfectly. Finally got the tension adjusted...it was way off. It sews good but is VERY noisy. There is a rubber wheel that rests against the handcrank wheel (no belt) and it has a flat spot on it. I guess from sitting unused so long and I think that is what is making the noise. When I hold the motor away from the machine its quiet. Hopefully cleaning everything tomorrow will help too. The only vintage machines I've used before recently was my Grannie's and I've never seen one that doesn't need a belt. Was this a common thing?
I am glad the needle worked out great for you!! As far as the motor not having a belt there were several companies that did that, and if it sat for any length of time it will have a flat spot.

What you can do is sand the rubber wheel down a bit ad remove a lot of the flat spot and afterwards you might have to adjust the motor a little closer to the hand wheel. But it should help it out until you can replace the rubber wheel.

You might could find an O-Ring at your local hardware store to work for the motor and the bobbin winder if it uses one for it. I use O-Rings for my bobbin winders instead of buying the tires.

Billy