Thread: Happy Lappy!!
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 05:29 PM
n2scraplvr

This is my first experiment wtih low contrast, high contrast and no contrast blocks in the same quilt -- something I've been wanting to do for a long time. There was no order to the placement of blocks and no pattern. It was just "do what you feel." Wanted a 4" finished block so started with 2.5" squares.

Mottled or Batik-like fabrics were carefully chosen for a Kaffee Fassett look. There are only a few Batiks in it with lots of vintage, feedsacks mixed with new which I love to do. Some of you saw this quilt posted on April 12 here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-42480-1.htm

Most of it was done in 6 days but wasn't able to work on it for the next 3 mos. This lap took two weeks to do at a comfortable pace. I wanted a crazy patch inner border in order to use up lots of pastels which hardly get used. I only wanted subtle areas of darkness and not a gradation of light to dark. For that reason, color placement was more challenging. There are gold ships, gold stars and one golden dragonfly in it. There is also one red heart. I call it "Happy Lappy" because I'm happy when I see it! If I had to choose another name for it, it would be "Among My Flower Beds."

More important than the quilt are the words of recognition for those who have been an encouragement and influence in my life. This quilt is lovingly dedicated in memory to my family who taught me much, but especially in honor to my parents for their sacrifice and love. To my father who taught me how to sew and fly. When I was a small child, he made the most beautiful floral Japanese kimono with mandarin collar and gold frogs that impressed me sew much. He was a flight instructor in his spare time and loved teaching others to do everything, but especially flying. A special recognition to both my brothers who were artistic and businessmen and who helped me much. For my mother's influence in the arts and politics and hand-made items also special honor to her for her great help in all the countless checks she wrote me throughout my life. Recognition is due all of them, but especially to the Lord for all He has done for me and for making it all possible! May this quilt bring glory to Him and His kingdom as it's for His use. I hope you enjoy seeing my "Happy Lappy"!!
It's 64" x 67". I didn't plan on making it this big; it just happened. To my family watching from the banisters of heaven and to my DM, this is for you, Mom, Happy Mother's Day! .....stopping to wipe tears as they fall.....enjoy :wink:

a heart of love is in it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33295[/ATTACH]

early stages on the design wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33376[/ATTACH]

finally finished
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33377[/ATTACH]

closer up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33378[/ATTACH]

one golden dragonfly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33379[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-33295.jpe   attachment-33376.jpe   attachment-33377.jpe   attachment-33378.jpe   attachment-33379.jpe