View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 AM
patricej
Administrator

Originally Posted by Deborah Rae
If you don't want your originals to be copied you need to state that it is copy protected and apply for the copy wright and the copy symbal needs to be displayed plus you have to let them know how many years the copy wright is in force and terms of use. If you don't do this the image is fair game to anyone. I made a mistake a few years ago on some of my photography pictures and saw my images on cards on ebay! When you buy a quilting book that basically is paying for the copy wright.
i'm sorry, but none of this is correct. my originals are my originals and protected by law whether i make a formal statement or not. statements, little symbols, and registration are additional protections, but not required.

i understand the recurring questions. it's a seeminly complicated subject. however, i simply do not understand why this subject always generates such argument. if you didn't create it, it isn't yours. period.

if you want to copy something, and permission to do so isn't clearly published along with the work, then just ask the originator. if you don't know how to contact that person, then pick something else to do. it doesn't matter if the person who claims it isn't truly the person who created it. stealing from a thief is still stealing.