Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 AM
DeniseB

Originally Posted by mygirl66
Im so green with envy! You have someone to share ideas with in your sewing room and soon you will be swaping fabric and patterns with her! You know how excited shes going to be once she gets started, you gave her Quilt Pox!(LOL). I still dont know anyone here, I have thought about going to Jo-Anns, and striking up conversations with the women at the calico wall, then I thought it would be too much like a bar scene, "you come here often?" "nice fabric, are you a quilter?" "I will show you my stash if you show me yours". It just seemed a lil creepy for me, so I will sew alone for now.

Hi mygirl66, have you joined a quilt guild? that is a great place to meet quilters. Not all of them will be your cup of tea but the way i got to be friends with other quilters was I chaired a committee and these 5 other ladies volunteered to help me , they had never had that many volunteer at one time for just one committee. Anyway it turned out we all get along so well we started a mini group on a different night so we can get together and share, our guild is more a business meeting, our mini group is more learning and sharing. I had belonged to this guild for years on and off and heading a committee is what made the difference. I volunteered to chair another committee(our raffle quilt) and the same ladies are on that with me too. We go places together and enjoy each other company, it is great to share your love of quilting with others. Our oldest gal is 71 and our youngest is 43.

Also, local quilt stores are good. even if you have to drive a ways to get to one, they may know of other quilters in your area that shop at their store. When I first moved here that is how I found my quilt guild.

Another idea is go to the county fair and see if there are any quilts on display. sometimes there are quilters sitting and demonstrating, we have gotten several new members to our guild by doing this.

I will keep you in my thoughts hoping you will meet some wonderful quilters.

take care
Denise