Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 AM
hokieappmom

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by hokieappmom
I know a lot of places that do monitor emails and internet surfing, but luckily our company is very liberal. But we only have 6 in the office. My daughter works for a very strict company and does not even have internet. She can only have water at her desk and it has to be in a cup with a tight fitting lid. I can't even meet her for lunch there and sit outside. No one is allowed on the grounds unless it is strictly business.
Actually that does not seem unreasonable. I was a first grade teacher and there was little to no personal time at all. Once the children were on campus, we had to be "on our toes" whether we were on duty or not.

I agree with the person who spoke of the work ethic.
I didn't say it was unreasonable, just strict, whereas my situation is liberal. Certain jobs allow flexiblity, like mine, and others to not (teaching, nursing etc.) I certainly would not be on the internet if my boss were not fully aware of it. I do not consider it stealing time if she approves. I have a strong work ethic also, and my work definitely takes priority. There are simply times that I have no work to be done (as do others in my office), but that could change any minute, so the boss doesn't want to send us home. I have had previous jobs that were not flexible and I strongly adhered to their principles. Didn't mean to step on any toes.