Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 AM
RobinAnn

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
If anyone lives in the Burlington, VT area and want small scraps, I have a GIGANTIC bag of them! I will never use them, but can't bring myself to trash them.
I can't just throw either, but I did come up with a solution that works for me. I make string quilts for charity with strips that are at least 1" wide - I try to sort into light medium and dark. Anything smaller or batting scraps, etc, gets put into a tall, narrow plastic hamper until it is full. Then I use the scraps to fill dog beds for the rescue dogs. When I go to a sew-in day, I take an empty dog bed and ask everyone to put their unwanted snippets in the bag. It is a win-win for everyone.

Where do I get the dog beds? I like to practice new designs for the long arn on CHEAP fabric - then I make pillowcase style beds measuring from 18x18 to 27x27. I must sew more than most because I generally make a good sided pillow each month. Of course others in the guild and my quilting daughter have taken to bringing me those little bits and pieces as well. (NOT LOOKING FOR MORE! lol)