View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 AM
BKrenning

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma
What should the height of a sewing machine table be. My hubby wants to make me one.

Another question..How do you make an ironing board that works good with quilts..

Thanks so much..
Sewing table height depends on your height.

As for an ironing board, I used a piece of luann (a very light & cheap plywood) 2 x 4' and hubby nailed stoppers on the bottom of it that just fit over the point of a regular ironing board so that you can slide it back just enough that the point is left to sit the iron on.

I covered the luann with the thermal insulbright batting-shiny side up and covered the batting with an ugly piece of cotton plaid. Then I covered that with the teflon type ironing board fabric. The batting & fabric are just wrapped around to the back and stapled on.

I think we spent less than $20 on the entire project--much cheaper than a "real" big board. It's a little smaller than a "real" big board but if it was any larger, it would be harder to move it off & on. It takes up a lot of space so mine is usually leaning on a wall, out of the way until I need it.

I'll run downstairs and take pictures to attach.....

Front (top) side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41218[/ATTACH]

Back (bottom) side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41219[/ATTACH]

Ready to use
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41447[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41218.jpe   attachment-41219.jpe   attachment-41447.jpe