View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 AM
no1jan

I had a gastric bypass done in Oct, 1996. Due to adhesions from a prior surgery the operation took 12 1/2 hours instead of 4. My husband was going nuts as no one told him anything.

I had to go through a lot of procedures before they would consider me for the GB, including seeing a Psych.

I think it was the best decision I have ever made.

Has it been tough? Well,I had to figure out what my body would allow me to eat and follow the doctor's directions. I no longer LIKE anything sweet. I love spices! I cannot eat beef as it makes me nausious and I get tired of waitresses asking me if the food was all right because there is so much left on a plate. One normal meal usually lasts me four meals, unless my DH eats it.

Would I do it again knowing all the consequences? Yes, I honestly do not believe I would be alive now. I feel so much better and definitely look better and have less health issues.

Was it successful? Yes, I lost about 95 lbs of which I have gained back 20. I'm told you always gain some back.

I love having more energy and feel so much better about myself.

Am I saggy? My chin is a little saggy and so are my upper arms. I look hideous in a bathing suit or without clothes, but partly because of the previous surgery I have a scar from my breast all the way down. I did have a very small bit of plastic surgery done a year after my operation on my stomach as I tried a leg press with weights and got 3 hernias. That was because of the large scar I had. Now they can do the procedure with a laporoscomy and you do not have a huge scar. But I am over 50 and almost everyone gets saggy then.

I was told one thing that I firmly believe is true.
Year 1 after the operation, the weight is 100% bypass.
Year 2 after the operation, it is down to 80% bypass, the rest is retraining yourself and willpower.
Year 3 after the operaion, it is down to 50% bypass.
Year 4 and the rest of your life it is strictly the retraining yourself and willpower.

Even though they (in my case) stapled off part of the stomach and seperated it, and added a band at the top of the new stomach, it can stretch. If you start eating as you did before the surgery you will regain your weight.
Listen to your doctor's, exercise, and have a picture of the before operation picture available.

I can eat 1/4 of a sandwich and be totally full. A friend who also had the surgery can eat a whole sub, bag of chips, and a huge slice of cake and then still look for a snack shortly thereafter. Needless to say, she regained her weight plus more.

The decision is yours. Get informed! And if you decide to have the operation, go see a nutritionist who deals in bypass patients. I have one. She monitors all of my blood counts as once you have the surgery your body doesn't absorb as many nutrients. She/he will tell you what foods to eat and monitor your success.

People say that bypass surgery is an easy out, far from it! It takes a lot of determination and guts to have it done. But if it means that you can live longer with better health and more energy ...?

Good luck and if you have any more questions you can PM me. I can only tell you of my experience, not speak for others.