Thread: Fabric Prices
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM
trupeach1
Banned

When you think back to the 1860's the average income was $600 per year. It cost $6 to mail a letter that is why when someone received a letter it was such a big deal. Fabric cost about 2 cents per yard. 1 dress length was 6-8 yds. Most families had 6 or more children. Yet these woman quilted. They found a way to do it. Yes prices are high but through the ages people always thought prices were high. When I was a little girl there was an old woman that lived on the farm up the street from us. It was the only farm for miles and miles around. Most of original property her parents owned was sold to build houses, mine included. Helen would go to all the neighbors asking for used clothing and stockings. Helen made yoyo quilts and she used the old stockings to stuff the yoyo. I have never seen a stuffed yoyo since. Helens quilts should have won prizes but she made then for family and friends. Helen would barter for fabric. If you really want to quilt you don't have to be rich you just have to be inventive as to ways to get fabric. I know a young woman she goes to the thrift shop and buys clothing to cut apart for the fabric. She uses the fabric to make cloths as she has 3 young children. This past winter her sons were in need of pants. She went to the thrift store and bought mens cordory suits. They cost her $3 for each suit and she was able to cut then apart and made her little ones all their winter pants. She said on sale at Joanns's it was $10 per yd on sale she couldn't afford that. My entire point is if you want to quilt you will find a way. I know this can be done as I have had to make due my entire life. Yes prices are going up but there is nothing we could do about it. There are 2 things in life you have to do........pay taxes and die!!!!!!!!!!!