Thread: Sheets
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
I use (almost always) sheets for backing. I longarm quilt on a Tin Lizzie and have never had a problem, even with high thread count sheets. I put a new needle in my machine often. I use a sheet that is big enought to tear off all sides to square the sheet before I start. I have also heard that professional longarm quilters don't like sheets for backing, I don't know why.
i think that when a longarmer is quilting for someone else, she uses what she's given. personally, i find that the high thread counts get pierced and the sheet threads are torn instead of the needle slipping between them. those holes are a good place for wear to start. next time you look at really good sheets, take a look at the sewn hemmed edges. if the sheet is a color, you can see where the needle holes have been left. on the edge of the sheet is doesn't matter, but on the whole surface of a quilt, i wouldn't do it. but if you look at a high count of very soft cotton, say egyptian, you won't see it. a looser weave allows a space for the needle to slide through without causing damage to the fabric. i grew up with 120 count -they were called muslin sheets-and they worked fine. i would definitely use those.