Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM
LaurieE

I used to sew clothes for my family as well. I started with baby clothes and worked my way up to evening gowns, suits, and swimsuits. I stopped when my girls hit middle school and it wasn't "cool" to wear homemade clothes. Clothing construction can be a bit more challenging but it is also very rewarding. You will know that your clothes will survive past the first washing.

I would like to make the suggestion that you start with something simple like an apron, a skirt, shorts or nightgown and go from there. I would also like to suggest that you find a really good reference book with a lot of pictures. Simplicity had a really good plastic spiral bound reference book. I don't know how their books are today.

Today you also have the advantage of YouTube. You may want to check them out for tutorials. Back when I learned to sew, computers hadn't been invented yet.

Patterns went through a sizing change in the early 60s. I remember the "new larger sizing" promos the pattern companies did. They were resized for a larger figure. The patterns from the 1950s are designed for smaller framed woman and would be under the old sizing. It is really important that you take your measurements and go by that. Ignore your off the rack size.