Old 05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Different quilters prefer different battings. Also, different uses call for different battings.

I make mostly quilts to be used; I stopped using Warm n Natural when I realized its drape is stiffer than other cotton batts. It would be my first choice for a wallhanging, though, because of its stability.

I like the look and longevity of antique quilts with cotton batting, so I use the very traditional Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting in almost all of my quilts now. The most I will go on the polyester side is Hobbs 80/20 (80% cotton/20% polyester) and only in that brand. In my experience, polyester is more prone to bearding and turning into little balls with heavy use, although this probably depends a lot on the specific brand of batting. One bad experience was enough to turn me off on polyester.

I am not tempted to use bamboo because I have read that the chemicals used to process the bamboo are very toxic, even though bamboo is touted as being an environmentally friendly and renewable resource.