Old 05-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Charlee

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I have been reading about the old and antique sewing machines and got curious about mine. I have had a singer machine in my storage building for a long time. In my mind I feel it was bought new by my grandmother in the early 1950's but the serial number doesn't indicate that.

It is a Singer SigZag Model 457, electric, and says Stylist on the front. The serial number is R459311 or B459311, we can't tell for sure, but both these numbers indicate they were made in the early 1900's. The R number says July-Dec
1902 and the B number says July 25, 1904 Montreal.

Because you all have been talking about old machines I think I will take this to the shop and see if they can get it running.

The treadle machine is at my daughters. I last used it to hem jeans 4 or 5 years ago and the belt broke. I could not easily locate a belt so I just haven't thought of it since then. Will see about finding a belt for it now.

If anyone can help me date this I sure would appreciate it.
You can use nearly anything for a belt! I know of one woman that broke her belt, and in a pinch, cut a pair of pantyhose to use! I have a machine that has a leather bootlace joined by a bent wire for a belt (which is pretty much all the treadle belts are!) :)

Polly, I just looked for a pic of the Stylist 457...that machine is made in the 50's or 60's at best. It looks like a machine my sis has, and she bought hers at the San Diego County Fair in 1962.

Does your machine look like this one?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48103[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-48103.jpe