Old 05-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Melody

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Melody
I have a Golden Touch and Sew Singer which I bought brand new in 1972... gee,is that vintage?? Doesn't seem to me like it could be, but I do have a question about it. The bobbin tension is great but the upper thread is not right at all. I took it to 2 repair shops in hopes that they could fix it. They said they fixed it, but it continues to have an upper thread tension problem. So I gave up and bought an Elna 7200 about 5 years ago. But now, I have hope that perhaps I can fix the darn thing myself! I found a "fix-it" website that says the tension discs located on the front of the machine are creating the problem and just a good cleaning with dental floss should do it. I haven't hauled the Singer out of the back of the closet yet (it's heavy!), but is this a likely fix for loose tension?
It might just do it. The idea behind the dental floss is that it will clean any lint or dirt that may be keeping the disc from sandwiching together enough to create the tension.

Or you can take the tensioner apart and clean it yourself. It is not hard at all just unscrew the dial and slide the disc off of the stud. Remember how they come off so you can put them back the way that they are supposed to be. When you have it apart you can check and clean the disc and what lint may be in the tensioner.

Billy
Thank you so much!! I have always loved that old gear driven machine. It was a hard worker. :mrgreen: