View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 01:47 PM
teddysmom

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135
Originally Posted by teddysmom
I'm going to be handpiecing AND hand quilting. Should I press my seams all to one side or can I press them open to make less bulk when I hand quilt? HELP
Good Morning Teddysmom -

I started out in quilting with hand piecing a looong time ago - and you should press seams to the side for hand piecing. I personally would not press hand-stitched seams open. A good place to start is watching Jinny Beyer hand piece - she is really, really fast (I am not) but looking at the size of her stitches is worth the effort.

I don't hand quilt much at all but when you do the quilting you will be avoiding the seam allowances other than when you cross corners, etc. Can't wait to see a few pictures.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Hi Sandy, just went to a quilting class. Instructor told me to quilting in "the shadow"--1/4" from seam. That way I'll have no bulky seam allowances to quilt through.

By the way, we're really from Stanley. We're full time RVers doing volunteer mission work so we're only there a couple times of the year--will be there next weekend for granddaughter's college graduation & our 50th anniv. then will be there during Nov & Dec for the holidays.

Sara from Stanley NC