Old 05-07-2010, 03:38 PM
aliaslaceygreen

Originally Posted by vickig626
I was dealing with this and came up with this idea when I re-organized my stash.

I have an area for my stash has been coordinated with what I already have. I put these coordinated colors together and tie them gently with a ribbon. That way I know that pile goes together. Then I just stack them in this area so when I'm looking for fabric for a pattern, I look here first. I still usually have to buy more fabric to "go with" but at least I'm reducing my stash a bit.

We're working on a scrappy quilt at our guild so I bought a colorful border print but was able to pull all the other fabrics from my stash. I was very pleased with myself for being able to do that.... that doesn't usually happen.

Hope this helps!!
This is pretty much what I do too...and will be doing again as I clean out the studio this go-round....

It doesn't have to have a pattern dedicated to it, it doesn't have to be 3 1/2 yard and 1 fat quarter pieces, just three or four pieces that 'play nice'...

A solid(-ish) piece, maybe something with a large scale print, something with a smaller scale print, and a stripe, dot or tone on tone...you will be amazed at the number of 'collections' you have already!!! Then, you can shop with some purpose....because I would never want to tell you not to shop!!!

good luck!