View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Pamela Artman

I was in a block swap on another site and one of the women who swapped, did a very poor job with her blocks. The fabrics were really bad and the sewing was just awful. The ladies decided not to say anything and I thought maybe I could take it apart and resew parts and have a usable block, but the pieces were cut wrong and the fabric so cheap that it wasn't possible, so I just tossed the whole block. The next time we swapped, the woman in charge of the swap decided to send back the blocks made poorly by the one lady. She decided it wasn't fair to the rest of us to trade beautifully made blocks for poorly made ones. The rest of the women supported her decision, but regretfully, her feelings were so hurt that she quilt the site. It's a hard call... and I'm still not sure it was the right one. I think it might have been better to toss one block with each swap and not hurt someone. The last swap we did was a jewel box with jewel tone fabrics on a black background. I was disappointed in some of the blocks because some women did not understand what jewel tones were and used pastel yellow, pale green and baby blue. But when they were all sewn together, they made a really pretty quilt. The swaps are fun, and I guess you have to weigh the fun against the possible disappointment in the quality of fabric or workmanship.