Old 05-08-2010, 03:22 PM
GailG

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I would recommend starting with something like pajama bottoms where the fit isn't particularly important.

Clothing making is kind of like making quilts - it can be extremely simple/easy to very complex.

Believe the measurements on the pattern - pattern sizing and ready-to-wear sizes are frequently different - and the pattern industry did some resizing - maybe in the 60s or 70s - don't remember for sure when.
I haven't read all of the posts, but I agree that it would be good to choose something very basic and probably one of the "easy" patterns in the newest pattern books. Then after you are comfortable with the language of patterns and a few basic techniques, you can go the the easier vintage patterns. I learned to sew in the fifties, so if I can do it you can do it. I went on to get a degree in Home Economics ( when sewing was taught). I didn't teach HE for any length of time, but have used my skills in so many ways throughout the years. One was teaching a couple of classes at the local Hancock.

Learning the language of patterns is important. If you have to do it step-by-step with a pencil to check off as you go, do it. (That's how I taught myself to crochet -- step by step, checking off each step as I completed it) I was often guided by the illustrations given with the written directions. If you have difficulty, find someone who can help. YOU CAN DO IT!! Good luck.

PS, I did teach that beginning class by first using an easy pajama pattern.