Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by howard anne baumann
I just got through making me a simple nightgown to wear around the house. It was supposed to be a "2Hr" project. Well, I didn't believe the measurements were correct. and I ended up having to add some panels. It was a size 16 and I thought it should fit me! also the directions were off and it failed to mention one of the pieces I needed in the layout cutting part. But, I perservered and finished it! Wore it last night and I'm very proud of it. However, I still need to go back to the drawing board and do alterations. the thing is it is real comfortable and that was the main thing. I will say this, though, you can figure it out! And if you want , you can do it your way! You can always fix your errors, rip out mistakes, and so forth. My project was easier, as I never intended it for public viewing. but, I am ready to start on a yellow frock for around the house. And yes, you do get a lot of new scraps and a lot of satisfaction. Your fifties pattern is probably going to have more work and details, but go for it! A simpler first time pattern would be a little smock for a toddler than you sew two sides together and reverse and then top stitch. My advice, check out the pattern before you buy it, and make sure it makes sense! Good Luck, Lady Scarlett in Texas
You really have the right idea. You struggled with the original pattern and you succeeded. Now, go back to the pattern, make permanent alterations -- add with plain white paper, tissue, or old newspaper (the ink will be dry). Once your pattern is altered to fit, you've got a good pattern that you know you can succeed with. You can make all the nightgowns you need without having to struggle again with a pattern. That's what I used to do with pants and shirt patterns. Then all I had to do was vary the details and I had a whole new garment. Now all I sew are PJs and housecoats. The rest of the time at the machine is for quilting! Happy sewing.